carb decision- 225 /6

-

Davidrad

Reaction score
So. I bought a 70 Swinger. The car had been sitting for 20 years. In order to get it up my steep driveway and into the garage I needed to get it running or take the time in the dark to set up a winch. It only took about 15 minutes, a jumpered ballast resistor and some gas. It earned my respect that night and I'm having trouble making the decision to go V8. Compression on the front 3 are 135 and it goes down from there to 110 by #6. I'm working on a budget and I've found with other projects that if I keep the car runningish it will retain my interest.

The Holley 1920 is where I draw the line though. I haven't had a one barrel carb since the toro lawn mower I pushed around the neighborhood. It's leaking very badly now that I cleaned and replaced the fuel lines. Rebuilt kit is more than I want to spend on something I hate. What do you think I should do?

This is what I did.... noticeable improvement in driveability and throttle response.
slant-carb-jpg.1714935602

318 Carb and adaptation to Slant pic

Last edited:
Yup, factory 2bbl intake manifold (not a 2bbl-to-1bbl "adaptor"; they make more problems than they solve) and stock 2bbl air cleaner. Get as good of a carb as you can; "remanufactured" units tend to be junk and the "100% New!" units from China I would not touch with a 20-foot pole unless I were trying to burn down my car. Super Six auto trans kickdown linkage is getting expensive and difficult to get hold of; See this thread for easy and less-costly kickdown options.[/url]

It really bugs me that Mopar didn't leave the carb sideways on the Super Six. I didn't have hardly any linkage issues using the original 1BBL stuff. I added the bracket to the other side of the carb and added a small metal shield to keep the kick down rod in place at WOT. The issues most people encounter with adapters is linkage and icing. Too thick an adapter and no manifold heat combined with low ambient temps will cause icing on the throttle plates and idle circuits. I kept all the EFE systems in place and the thermactic air cleaner so no issues. The opening in a 1BBL intake flows a lot more than the factory carb will. Not everyone has a welder and feels comfortable welding on a carb's throttle shaft though.

Any experience with the Offenhauser and small 4 barrel? There is an inexpensive manifold for sale near me so I'm debating that choice.

I got my super six conversion going recently and have a couple of long road trips on it. It definitely has more power than the 1bbl, and better driveability. I am actually using one of the Chinese BBDs, and it's been good so far. The 1977 vintage BBD I was planning to use was just too gummed up inside -- I couldn't get it cleaned out enough to idle. I had to swap the choke shaft end plate from the 77 to the Chinese one to make the choke thermostat work -- it had the wrong arc for the slot. I am using the Bouchillon kickdown cable and a fabricated throttle cable bracket. And I picked up a Super Six air cleaner at Spring Fling.
IMG_5232.JPG

-
Back