carb help please

-

pinkfuzzibunnies

Reaction score
I had a post on here before about needing to replace my carburetor because the mechanic jb welded it....and so they told me they would give me my money back (of course) and install whatever carburetor I get but I don't know what kind I need

I don't know much about cars but I was told I have a carter single barrel...I can take pictures if needed...here's the website I was thinking of using to get the new one...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
(it's a 75 dodge dart sport, /6)

does getting one of these different brands matter and is one better than the other? do I get it w/ or w/o bowl vent or idle enrichment?

thank you for any help you can give me!

Generally speaking part store rebuilt carbs are very low quality and prone to problems. Sorry I don't have any more useful suggestion on which carb is correct for your car. Good luck.

I had a post on here before about needing to replace my carburetor because the mechanic jb welded it....and so they told me they would give me my money back (of course) and install whatever carburetor I get but I don't know what kind I need

I don't know much about cars but I was told I have a carter single barrel...I can take pictures if needed...here's the website I was thinking of using to get the new one...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
(it's a 75 dodge dart sport, /6)

does getting one of these different brands matter and is one better than the other? do I get it w/ or w/o bowl vent or idle enrichment?

thank you for any help you can give me!

i agree with mcnoople about the quality and remans are notorious for having problems, however , if you can get your "mechanic" to do a proper tune with it, you may be ok. please post a couple pics of each side and the front of your carb with the air cleaner off, and we can point you in the right direction.

dont leave until this car is running smooth as silk. i know you have been having problems with these guys.

I agree with them I have had nothing but bad luck with reman carbs. Find someone you trust and have one rebuilt.

does anybody know of a good site to get one? :( or can tell me a good brand to get?...I don't have a lot of money since I spent most of it on this guy screwing me over....I kind of assumed I cant rebuild mine specifically since it has a hairline crack in the main part (the core?) that's why they jb welded it....and I don't really trust this company to get me a good one so I'm really wanting to find one myself I can take down there and just have them put it on. thanks for the help

If you just want to go with the stock application I have never had a problem with carter

I buy a lot from rockauto, but I am with others on not trusting them for carbs. Most rebuilders have no way to check their handi-work, and many assemble fast with semi-skilled workers. I would trust one from an individual seller who has proven it on their own car and just wants to upgrade, or from a skilled rebuilder (retired or hobbyist). Many slant six owners upgrade to a 2-bbl intake and carb, so one who has a good record (many posts) on FABO or SlantSix.org would be a good idea. Indeed, you might also consider that since the Carter BBD carbs are easy to fine, work well, and are cheap (I got a new one for $25).

I saw some slant carbs on ebay while poking around on ebay a few days ago (I have enough carbs). I recall one was a Holley 1945 from an 80's truck. A good mechanic could probably figure out how to hook to your 1975, which probably has most of the same emissions hoses. Many people recommend the Holley 1945. I have a Carter BBS 1-bbl on my slant and it seems good. I would avoid a Holley 1920 because they have sealed internals that can't be rebuilt or easily verified. I have also heard that the Holley Economizer line sold ~1978 to 1985 can't be rebuilt well, though if you can find a new one it might be great (better mileage). I see them sometimes on ebay.

-
Back