Carb issue. Tries to stall when cornering/braking.

-

Andrew14497

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 66 barracuda with a 4bbl 273 automatic. It was originally a 2 bbl car and I don't have much history on the engine. Block numbers say it's a 66 and it may be from a dart charger based on the "charger" air cleaner. The previous owner had a new carb installed about a year ago. It is an AFB 4299s, which looks like it should be for a 383. Car runs/starts pretty well except for off throttle cornering (think right turn on green). Unless I go very slow or give it some throttle it tries to die. Same goes for moderate to heavy braking especially down hill. My guess is some sort of float issue, but I really don't know. Only other this I notice is when you floor it, the is a major dead spot for about a second or two and then the engine revs. Any ideas? Help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 203
Does sound like the float. I would open it up and have a look at everything. Don't trust someone elses work who you don't know. Make sure the float setting, metering rods, jets, etc., are what they should be.

Check the float level and make sure the accelerator pump is adjusted and working properly. Also check for possible vacuum leaks

Pulled the air horn off. The float level was a bit low. Adjusted this and otherwise it looked ok. Still has the same stalling issue after. Maybe even worse. When rolling off the curb at the end of the driveway, the bounce/jolt even caused it to stall. Might try lowering the float level a way to see if it's too much fuel. After that take the whole carb apart for a cleaning.

It seems like it only tries to die with no throttle or at idle. Could idle mixture cause something like this?

Lowering it might not do anything if the needle valve is worn. I would just take it apart and have a good look at everything.

You may also want to check your fuel pressure. Inline fuel pressure gauges aren't all that expensive, and can tell you a lot about the health of your fuel system.

I had a similar problem with my Challenger when I first got it, messed with the float settings, carb adjustments, etc. Threw a fuel pressure gauge on it and found out it was only pumping out like 3.5 psi at the high end, even lower at idle speeds. Poor thing just couldn't refill the float bowls fast enough. Found a kink in the fuel line back near where it crosses under the frame in front of the rear springs. Changed the fuel line and put a new fuel pump on it, no more problems.

-
Back