Carb not choking

-

g413

Reaction score

Recently I took my car out and it stalled several times in the first two minutes. The picture shows the carb with a cold engine. Notice the choke valve is wide open. Shouldn't it be closed? I pressed on the valve to close it but it would just barely move about 1/4". The hang up is the linkage that goes down to the well-type choke (thermostat?).

My 67 Barracuda at some time had a 318 put in, but the Carter carb is probably original. Of course the I.D. tag is missing. So my theory is the little thermostat is frozen and won't allow the valve to shut. Does this sound correct?

I know these thermostats are not serviceable, but can you identify the carburetor and where can I get another one of these well-type choke thermostats?

Normally how long does it take for the choke valve to open up after starting the car?

Carb 9-16-2016.JPG

Recently I took my car out and it stalled several times in the first two minutes. The picture shows the carb with a cold engine. Notice the choke valve is wide open. Shouldn't it be closed? I pressed on the valve to close it but it would just barely move about 1/4". The hang up is the linkage that goes down to the well-type choke (thermostat?).

My 67 Barracuda at some time had a 318 put in, but the Carter carb is probably original. Of course the I.D. tag is missing. So my theory is the little thermostat is frozen and won't allow the valve to shut. Does this sound correct?

I know these thermostats are not serviceable, but can you identify the carburetor and where can I get another one of these well-type choke thermostats?

Normally how long does it take for the choke valve to open up after starting the car?

View attachment 1714968661

It all looks correct. A lot of those earlier chokes like that are adjustable. You have to take it off and turn it over. Loosen the nut if it has one and you can adjust the spring richer or leaner. There should be a R and a L down there. See what you find out.

Also check the choke pull off adjustment if the engine is off in the pic it is pretty far back. BTW it looks like a Carter bbd carb.

yes looks like carter bbd carb.....Yes choke flap should be more closed the colder the engine is.....As far as how long it takes to open depends on the outside air temperature......My Holley 1920 in the summer will kick right down off of high idle and open the flap up when I start it because it is 80 degrees outside.....In the winter it takes about 10 minutes as it slowly opens to full open.....That is what it is designed to do

-
Back