Carb problems

-

74dart

Reaction score
So I recently rebuilt a 318 into a 328, and I used the same intake that was already on it, except I took off a 1" spacer that was on the intake, and I'm not sure if it is this or something else but I'm having a problem that I didn't have before the build. When I start the car to warm it up I am not able to drive it for 15-20 minutes, because when I try and take off or kick it down to early the car dies, sounds like it gets flooded but I'm not sure because it starts right back up and drives fine, Im using a carter carb on it, its a pretty stock motor, mild cam and everything is rebuilt(with exception of the carb).

Is this a carb problem or something else, any thoughts and/or ideas would be great.

Thank you

Dakoda

So I recently rebuilt a 318 into a 328, and I used the same intake that was already on it, except I took off a 1" spacer that was on the intake, and I'm not sure if it is this or something else but I'm having a problem that I didn't have before the build. When I start the car to warm it up I am not able to drive it for 15-20 minutes, because when I try and take off or kick it down to early the car dies, sounds like it gets flooded but I'm not sure because it starts right back up and drives fine, Im using a carter carb on it, its a pretty stock motor, mild cam and everything is rebuilt(with exception of the carb).

Is this a carb problem or something else, any thoughts and/or ideas would be great.

Thank you

Dakoda
You mean a carter 2bbl?? or a carter 4bbl??? I would put the spacer back on it you still have it, it is prolly unrelated but if you put it back like you had it and then still have the same problem, maybe it's think time to rebuild the carb, you may have a vacuum leak now that you didn't have before also, I am sure someone else will chime in...

yeah, put that spacer back in and see what happens. You may have caused a vac leak by removing. got a pic.? is the coke coil in the manifold or on the carb?

He means the choke thermostat. Is it in the carburetor or in the intake manifold? It sounds like either you have the choke out of adjustment or you have yourself a vacuum leak. How does it idle when warm? Is it smooth? If it's not a rough idle, I would suspect the choke out of adjustment. If it has a rough idle I would suspect a vacuum leak.

well the thing is I cant really tell, I'm running straight pipes on it at the moment and cant really hear if it is rough or not, I will check tonight.

-
Back