Carb recommendations for my 340

-
are you for real?

there's several on the classifieds right now that are sub $200, they're all over ebay and offer up and CL, you can get them at swap meets all day. **** man, i have TWO sitting right here: a superquad with electric choke and a 440 HP2 unit that i'd take peanuts for.

numbers matching, rare TQ's sure, they command big money. but a bread and butter one that'll work for just any old small block? you can get those all day, every day and twice on sunday for the cost of a nice dinner out.
The $450 I posted was for a rebuild TQ. Do I know if it's worth it, I don't know

are you for real?

there's several on the classifieds right now that are sub $200, they're all over ebay and offer up and CL, you can get them at swap meets all day. **** man, i have TWO sitting right here: a superquad with electric choke and a 440 HP2 unit that i'd take peanuts for.

numbers matching, rare TQ's sure, they command big money. but a bread and butter one that'll work for just any old small block? you can get those all day, every day and twice on sunday for the cost of a nice dinner out.
I haven't looked in a long time but I've never seen TQ'S on Craigslist

I haven't looked in a long time but I've never seen TQ'S on Craigslist
here's two on offer up:

here's one with a 340 intake!

just for pedantic measure here's two off of CL:

this search took me less time than to link and write this.

the parts are out there.

Heck, 1 of the TQ’s I have up for sale I listed as a parts carb but it’ll take a rebuild out and work with a good thorough cleaning

Oh boy, I hope that I don't open up a can of worms here, but I've never seen a Q- jet on a mopar. Not saying that it hasn't been done or won't work. Does the Q- jet require some type of special linkage for the throttle and for the transmission. What intake manifold will accept the q jet or does it require a adapter? I known a guy who used to be good at tunning a Q jet because he couldn't afford a holley. Again I'm just asking
Quadrajets actually work great on a small block mopar thermal quad intake. I bought a 67 Barracuda back in 82 with a 318, 360 j heads with a double roller chain,3 speed manual and not sure what else was done to the engine. I bought it from a machinist. We romped on it on the way home and when the secondaries popped it was exhilarating. Under further examination when we got home there was a Quadrajet on it. It ran so good with that quadrajet I left it on for the whole time I drove the car.

Last edited:
i had a 600 cfm edelbrock on my mild 340 then later swiched out to 750 holley mechanical secondaries ... my exprice was

the 600 edelbrock did have some advantages over the 750
better gas MPG I was able to get 22mpg with my 340 ,904 rear 2.76 combo

it was great for driving every day and the electric choke was nice for cold start ups

as far as the 750 dp mechanical secondaries
as far as performance it was better then the edelbrok ... hands down even with my stock 1.88 heads mild cam

but i did not get 22mpg with with the 750 and it got worse once i switched to 3.55 gears ... also i did have to keep my foot on the peddle until it was warmed up with the 750 ( no choke)

so which is better ? kinda what you value raw performance goes to the 750... as for is a daily driver 600 eddy was a great carburetor

He probably didn’t proofread the mistake. I’m pretty guilty that myself. I’m pretty sure this member knows that but 650 AVS is what I think he was after.

He probably didn’t proofread the mistake. I’m pretty guilty that myself. I’m pretty sure this member knows that but 650 AVS is what I think he was after.
Absolutely agree.

OOPS, yes 800 AVS2... Since the secondaries open on demand it wouldn't be too much.

That’s true. I have an 800 AVS on my 10.5-1 - 340 with a XE285HL. Actual flow, IDK. I did flow test a Edelbrock 600 AFB and it did flow 600 cfm.

I was toying with the carb grinding away at it and managed a best of 715 cfm - IIRC. I did this on Charlie’s flow bench along with a video on it. I’ll have to find the paper work on it.

-
Back