CARB SPACERS

-
I use the open style myself. it wouldseem to me that the 4 hole design would be a little restrictive coming into the plenium area
especisally with a single plane manifold

Unfortunately you'll have to experiment to see what works best on your car. I don't use any myself because I don't have any hood clearance.

Generally, the idea goes like this:

4 hole is better for low end because it makes hte airflow more directional

Open is better for top end because it flows like crazy.

I have a 1" aluminum open spacer on mine, because I just can't fathom putting a 4 hole on, since in my mind, it just looks like a restrictor plate. A phenolic spacer will help even more with heat isolation.

You need to try every spacer you can get your hands on.
I run a two inch phenolic(plastic?) spacer. A two inch spacer puts the bottom of my air cleaner at hood level. The air filter is entirely in the scoop. One of the two days I spent tuning the engine instead of the suspension I played with spacers.
two inch four hole
[email protected] (I need to drive around the pits longer)
[email protected]
[email protected]
two inch open
[email protected]
[email protected]

My car likes the four hole spacer, over .100 difference!
A four hole spacer can improve the signal to the carb...
I have a two inch phenolic super sucker I want to try, soon!

I just can't fathom putting a 4 hole on, since in my mind, it just looks like a restrictor plate.
thats what it is about the 4 holes ...resrictor plate ...I didnt like them but couldnt put my finger on it

Im running an open hole plate but its was originally for a thermoquad and I flipped it over and then matched it to the intake so it now has a nice smooth transition into the plenium (^ shaped). Made a notiable difference on my mid to high torque.

Mike if you go to LVD on Mopar day this year I'll let you try my 1" HVH super sucker.

Mike, I ran a 1" open on my old setup which was similar to yours, wasn't impressed. The M1 sp with an open spacer will be soft on the launch, particularly with the little motor and foot braking it. Lots of plenum volume to get moving at lower rpms. I am going with a 4 hole to pick up some low end torque and improve the throttle response. Also switched to an Air-Gap this year. Guess we'll see!

ed,
what size 4-hole you going with??...super sucker??
UNLAWFL (gary) told me that the M-1 was gonna hurt me and to go get the AIRGAP..i didnt listen and i should have!!!...i was also looking into the future when i do upgrade,ill have the M-1

sickt7cuda said:
Walter, did you try the different spacers all during the same weather conditions, on the same day?
Yes. The results I posted were all from the same day. It was a track rental day.

BBLM23 said:
You need to try every spacer you can get your hands on.
I run a two inch phenolic(plastic?) spacer.

Phenolic is highly compressed layers of paper. Ussually coated coated with something to help give it strength. I have never seen a phenolic spacer but I am willing to bet they coat them with some sort of epoxy type paint or resin to prevent the gas and heat from destroying it the first time out. I work in the woodworking industry and have worked with several different forms of phenolic. I am sure what I have worked with is a bit differrent but knowing how that stuff reacts to heat I dunno if I would be to willing to run it on my car.

Tim, If you've ever seen a black carb spacer its probably Phenolic. they also made the ThermoQuad main bodies out of it.

Some sell wood spacers aswell.

AdamR said:
Tim, If you've ever seen a black carb spacer its probably Phenolic. they also made the ThermoQuad main bodies out of it.

Some sell wood spacers aswell.

Never seen them but I will keep an eye out cause I am kinda curious now.

Mike, I am staying with a 1" just going to a 4 hole instead of an open. I can always add the current 1" open spacer below it and see what happens.

I'd like to try what Walter did and switch the spacers between runs just to see the results. Once the new combo is tuned and consistant I will start to experiment. Promise to post results.

Probably not going to have a chance before E Town next month. I would like to but time is hard to come by these days. Gonna have give it some good ol' "street tuning" Mike, see how she feels.

-
Back