Carb suddenly acting up.

-

Mako21

Reaction score
I started fouling plugs yesterday at red lights and have strong exhaust smell while stopped. Decided maybe just needed a quick tuneup so reset my timing and carb adjustments with vacuum gauge to dial it all in. Stock 76 slant six with Holley 1945.

Come to find that turning the idle fuel mixture screw all the way in doesn’t cut off the engine. I have it seated now all the way in and the car is driveable and runs great at cruise, but at stop lights definitely running to rich. Would appreciate advice on what to do to remedy or should I remove the carb and inspect? Thinking maybe bad floats? I did rebuild with brass floats last year though.

Remember, "new" and "good" have different definitions. I would be inspecting the float level and the float itself to make sure it's not compromised with gas. Also, if the needle and seat has trash in it, it cannot seal properly and will flood. Since you can seat the air screw and it still runs, it's getting extra fuel from "somewhere".

Is the throttle closing all the way, no blockage ie.. rust, derbies, palmetto bug?
When the last time you ran it prior to issue?
Any other changes?

I drive it nearly every day (about 30 miles) and this suddenly came up. Think I’ll be changing the fuel filter and pulling the carb to check for debris. Also float levels. Thanks.

Symptoms suggest high fuel level caused by fuel logged float or leaking n/seat.

Saw a trick Freiburger did to clean junk off needle/seat you might wanna try:
Engine running, pinch fuel line near carb until engine almost quits, then release.
The rush of fuel washes garbage past the needle/seat.

Haven't tried it myself but it worked for them

-
Back