Carb vaccum leak?

-

Walker434

Reaction score
My 71 Dart 318 is making a "tea kettle on the stove" noise when it is warm at operating temperature. It has a Weiand Stealth intake and a Carter AFB 625 CFM carb. Last Sunday I took this cap off of a vaccum port on the carb down by the choke housing. With this cap removed the noise stops. If you put your thumb over the port the noise starts again.

I am thinking I have a vacuum leak somewhere on the carb and when this cap is removed it changes the flow enough to make the noise stop? Could this be the gasket between the choke housing and carb body? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2013-03-03_13-52-05_921.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 137
  • 2013-03-03_13-46-08_207.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 166
shouldn't the vacuum port on the choke be hooked to the air horn port ? My other question , does your choke work the way you have hooked up [ground wire] ? Just trying to help.

shouldn't the vacuum port on the choke be hooked to the air horn port ? My other question , does your choke work the way you have hooked up [ground wire] ? Just trying to help.

I am not sure what you mean by air horn port? It is verry possible the vacuum port on the choke should be hooked to something. To answer your other question yes the choke does work the way it is hooked up. Thanks for the help and response.

There is (or was) a small cork o-ring gasket between the choke housing and the carb body. I'm guessing that's where your whistle is coming from. I believe that vacuum port must be open for the choke pull-off to operate correctly.

Thanks to everyone who replied with help. I got the noise fixed this weekend. I bought a carb rebuild kit and replaced the gasket that goes between the plastic and the housing on the choke and a little o-ring between the housing and the carb body. Anyway noise is gone now! Thanks FABO!

another thing, check for vaccum leaks around all of your throttle shafts, Fire it up and let it idle till its fully warmed up, then take some wd-40 or some carburetor cleaner and just spraye quick bursts of it around your throttle shafts if the idle increases there's a vaccum leak.
Also spray around the base of the carburetor, and dont over tighten the carter or edelbrock carbs they can crack verfy easily and cause vaccum leaks.

-
Back