Carburetor loses prime after 8+ hours

-
I have the same problem with my dart. Its all stock one barrel. But after it sits for a week or so, i have to prime it. My truck can sit for months and three pumps it starts right away.

needle and seat or leaky float. rebuild carb.fuel should not flow back to the fuel pump it would be stopped by needle and seat.

Holy crap! I stopped getting notifications about responses to this thread LOL.
Well, I have a holley red pump to go in it, as well as a regulator, which per the instructions for the pump I dont need, but it was already ordered by the time I realized that, so it will get it anyway, no big deal.

I still have to install it. The car runs and drives great other than the hard start. I havent driven it in about 2 month until the other night. It took a few primes to get it started, so the problem is certainly getting worse. I actually think you guys are right about the carburetor. It seems to be leaking into the engine because it is a bit flooded on restarts after a 10 min or so pitstop. A reman might not be such a bad idea even along with the fuel pump, idk.

Good chance you're looking at either installing a Carb kit or an electric fuel pump to solve your problem. I' ve been doing it the hard way for the 32 years I've owned my Duster....when I get tired of priming the carb manually (pouring gas in)because the gaskets and seals are no longer performing their function I buy a carb kit and a case of beer and go over the rebuild again with someone who's more proficient...I enjoy the process...an electric fuel pump is a good idea...do both and be good to go for awhile.

Tyvm mark. I'm probably going to get out there on Friday and plumb in that fuel pump. I wl update with my results

Seen similar before, turned out to be a small casting flaw in the carb body that was allowing fuel to seep at a slow rate

My 63 did this--got a reman carb and problem fixed.

Well I never did install the electric fuel pump, I went ahead and ordered a holley carburetor. I just got it installed a few days ago and it runs better than it ever has in 25 years. I couldn't be happier.

It starts up without issue every time no matter how long it's been sitting. It was a very easy install and since it is brand new, I don't have to deal with the reman carter bbd problems that may arise.

Now all I would like to do is get a more fitting air cleaner. I'm not liking the look of it.

i think the fuel was evaporation out of the bowl vents. i have a branks spanking new porform 750. not a single drip, leak, etc. if i leave it alone for a couple days the bowls are empty. I have sight glasses in the bowls and can see that they are empty. i have an electric pump so its not a prob for me.

That's a 350cfm.

As for the evaporation, you might be right. It was either that or the needle and seat. Wouldn't surprise me if the float level was a little too low allowing the fuel to not be high enough to restart the engine

Thanks. I forgot to ask, would you mind sharing which adapter you used? I think I want to run a Holley on mine as well.

It may have been said already, but many of the two barrel carbs wear at the bushing where the lower throttle plate shaft goes through the casing. Fuel will leak out through the bushing when it sits for a period of time. I've had several slants where I had to turn the engine over and pump the hell out of it for an extended time to make it start.

-
Back