carburetor problem?

-

Zomvii

Reaction score
I have a 64 dodge dart and was wondering if the following is normal or not, and if it is what can i do about it.
My dart when on and being driven smells like gas, a lot and i was wondering if that is normal or not. Another thing is that when i am driving and i hit the brakes really fast and brake hard the car will sputter and turn off, or just turn off. I would appreciate some help on this, thanks.

it's not normal.........sounds like the needle and seat are leaking by, or the float is bad, and overfilling the fuel bowl. It's probably time for a carb rebuild.

either way you are going to have to take it apart. you can always tap on the float bowl, but that will get old fast. im guessing this is a /6 with a single throat carb. these are about the easiest carbs in the world to rebuild.

it can always be helped. get yourself a carb kit, a can of carb cleaner, take it off, take it apart. clean, clean clean, set the float , put it back together . the kit comes with an exploded view of the carb. there is nothing to it. once youve done one ,you will see how easy it is. dont be scared LOL, pretty soon it will stop running all together. knowledge is power. if the float bowl finally spills out on to the intake or an ignition source..... ive seen it happen...

-
Back