Carfax Question

-

Russ H

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at a 2009 used vehicle. It has a Carfax report of having sustained structural damage but does not elaborate other than to say no report of airbag deployment.

Is there any way of obtaining more specific information explaining the damage in more detail? The dealer either does not have more information or is not volunteering any. How does Carfax define "structural Damage"?

Thank you,

Russ

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 2009 used vehicle. It has a Carfax report of having sustained structural damage but does not elaborate other than to say no report of airbag deployment.

Is there any way of obtaining more specific information explaining the damage in more detail? The dealer either does not have more information or is not volunteering any. How does Carfax define "structural Damage"?

Thank you,

Russ

Call your insurance agent and have them look up the VIN. they told me about an accident that was claimed on a used car that I bought. If it had an insurance payout, they can tell you how much it was. In my case it was a $2500 repair. I should have asked them before I bought it....

Carfax has it's good, bad and misleading... A $1500 claim can trigger a Carfax report.

What does that mean? A tailgate, with built in step on a new ford truck is more than that. So you smash nothing more than your tailgate and bang.... Your otherwise perfect truck now has a Carfax ding.

http://www.carfax.com/Definitions/Glossary.cfm
Structural Damage — When the main structure or any component designed to provide structural integrity of the vehicle is damaged. All levels of accidents, from minor to severe, can cause structural damage to a vehicle (i.e., damage to the frame or unibody). Having a structural inspection before purchase is recommended.

So structural damage, going by Carfax's definition could be anything. The dealer really isn't likely to know more than you.

I'm in the collision repair business. I can tell you that structural damage can be incredibly minor. Some structural parts are simple bolt ons. Toss out the old, bolt on the new and everything is as it should be.

Glass is part of the structure on some new cars. Broken stationary side glass with paint damage pushing the estimate to $1500.... There you have a structural repair ding.

But don't get me wrong. The vehicle could have just as easily sustained severe damage.

The important thing is how was the repair. A correct repair returns the vehicle to an OEM level of fit, finish, and safety.

What you need to know for sure is a copy of the repair estimate. Very unlikely unless you can find out where the repair was done.

You can't really go by repair cost alone because the price of parts is all over the place.

Here is another Ford truck example: Let's say a $2000 repair on a 2012 F250. What does that tell you? Bumper and fender? Bumper and core support?

Could just be that some kid with a skateboard broke both power folding mirrors that are $1000 a pop.

So if a truck had 2 new mirrors installed in 20 minutes, would you call it wrecked?

Take it to a professional and have it checked out. If there is any doubt still, have it put on a frame alignment machine and have it laser checked.

Hi all,

Just the term "structural damage" would be enough for me to keep looking....

As the old saying goes, "Never trust a car salesman"... (especially a used car salesman). They will tell you anything to sell you a car - they want your money.

Call your insurance agent and have him run the VIN. See what they can tell you.

Just the term "structural damage" would be enough for me to keep looking....

As the old saying goes, "Never trust a car salesman"... (especially a used car salesman). They will tell you anything to sell you a car - they want your money.

Call your insurance agent and have him run the VIN. See what they can tell you.

Thanks for all the good information Guys. I did call my insurance agent and was told they could not run the VIN as suggested.

Structural damage can be holes drilled for radios or lights and even adding shevles and cage to a cargo van can be seen as structural damage.
Does it list it as a accident or just a report of it? And was it reported when it was sold at a Auction on the Carfax?

Just a FYI if you drill a hole in any of the Pillars A,B,C,D it is considored Structural Damage " per NAAA Standards

Structural damage can be holes drilled for radios or lights and even adding shevles and cage to a cargo van can be seen as structural damage.
Does it list it as a accident or just a report of it? And was it reported when it was sold at a Auction on the Carfax?

It is listed as disclosed by seller at auction. Also states no report of airbag deployment......

The dealer either does not have more information or is not volunteering
any

Carfax can be very undetailed with info. unfortunately .Personally will not buy used from dealers. At least if it was a private party you should be able to get more detailed info. Being a 2009 vehicle unless this is the deal of century or you just have to have this particular one would move on to another car/truck instead of digging for info. on this one. Good luck.

Oldschoolcuda

It is listed as disclosed by seller at auction. Also states no report of airbag deployment......

I know a guy that buys bad wrecks at dealer's auctions, then pieces them together to look good and then sells them at a different dealer's auction. If there is a Carfax on what he gets the damage is never listed as bad as it really was. He did one that they cut the whole top off and it still showed a clean Carfax. That car had more bondo than a rust bucket and there was no was way it was structurally safe the way it was done but it did look pretty good. Carfax is only as good as what they are told.

I always buy from a private party that has actually owned and driven the car for a while. Usually a better vehicle and a better price.

The dealer got back to me a bit ago. He claims his research revealed the front bumper, right fog light and core support was replaced due to a deer hit. Its a very nice 2009 Mercury Mountaineer Premier with 30,200 miles, $17,000. I'm going to take it for a test drive and if I like it, I'll do as suggested, have it looked at by a competent body shop for an opinion.

Thanks all,

Russ

I would beat them down on the price over the Carfax. That rig is the same as a Ford Explorer.

Even if it had a clean Carfax, I think that price is high.

Here's something else to consider......sooner or later you will want to sell the car. Then it will be your turn to deal with the Carfax "structural damage" hit. An astute buyer will insist on a lower price or just find another similar vehicle without a damage report.

-
Back