Carnage in rear after M/T ET Streets Hooked

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
Well, I installed my inboard spring relocation kit, measured, remeasured, set pinion angle, and on went the M/T ET 275/60's. MiG welded the spring perches on.......BIG Mistake!!! Took it out for a test spin, and after a 2nd launch and the Mickey's bit, snap crackle pop....Violently! Broke the welds, snapped the U-joint, shoved the pinion snubber into the floor pan and broke the snubber, and damaged the driveshaft. All that work, it broke, now I'm bummed and discouraged. The 408 combo is nothing to take lightly regarding driveline integrity. I posted this so no one will make the same stupid mistake I did.

hey dont worry we've all been there, look at it like this, now in the future you will never have that or anything like it happen again sometimes the best way to learn is to make mistakes even minor ones, to do the job you must have known what you were doing to set it up good just overlooked a small thing no biggie

Sorry to hear this but why was mig welding the perches on a mistake? A buddy of mine has a mig and we have done a couple Ford 9" and never had a problem. Did you have the heat up high enough to get good penetration?Wasn't one of those little buzz box migs was it? Also what did you torque you U-bolts too?

Yes, it was one of those little buzz boxes, and obviously I did not get enough heat/penetration like I should have. It was totally my fault, however I appreciate the encouragement. Yes, I learned a valuable lesson. I'm also glad I wasn't hauling *** down the track as well. I also learned to give my engine and tranny a little more respect regarding the integrity of the rear suspension, as the 408 is nothing to play around with. The first two times I launche I actually think, or it felt, like I pulled the left front wheel. It took off like a bat out of hell, unbelievable torque. I will no longer take anthing for granted after this. Now I have a fresh pair of drawers on, I can take a deep breath and get back out there and fix it.

Wow. That's some serious power. Makes me a little worried about mine. I don't have big slicks though. I Mig welded mine with a 140 amp mig on the highest heat setting. I made 3 overlapping passes and hope I don't have this problem.

That drivetrain will be bulletproof now. :)

Yes, it was one of those little buzz boxes, and obviously I did not get enough heat/penetration like I should have. It was totally my fault, however I appreciate the encouragement. Yes, I learned a valuable lesson. I'm also glad I wasn't hauling *** down the track as well. I also learned to give my engine and tranny a little more respect regarding the integrity of the rear suspension, as the 408 is nothing to play around with. The first two times I launche I actually think, or it felt, like I pulled the left front wheel. It took off like a bat out of hell, unbelievable torque. I will no longer take anthing for granted after this. Now I have a fresh pair of drawers on, I can take a deep breath and get back out there and fix it.

you need a mig welder that can, at the very least, do 120 amps.
no less.

Damn...

Do you have subframe connectors installed for the frame twist? It looks like you're into big block territory with that setup.

Hope you get it up & running quickly. I've been thinking about a stroker myself.

Well, looks like I'm just going to have the new spring perches Heli-arched for peace of mind, new parts will be order tomorrow and everything replaced and repaired so I can go race this weekend. This stroker coupled with the converter (Dynamic) and new locker rear-end is a beast. Can't wait to run it at the track......I think. 8)

Been there myself with the 416,last season i snapped all the wheel studs off on the driver side rear,fix that then ripped the driveshaft right off the pinion yoke..solution...Moser axles with 1/2" studs,custom 3" driveshaft with the big 1350 u-joints,and billet pinion yoke...

Yeah the rearends do take allot of beating. Even though my car is only a high 12 sec. car I'm getting ready to beef up the rear and rebuild everything at the same time. The thought of something like this happening to me makes me shiver.

It's no fun I assure you. 340sRule, you can probably attest to that. You gotta be making massive torque out of that thing to do that. I gotta give those M/T's some credit though. Once I get this thing put back together, I think there is a firechicken getting a little nervous.

It's no fun I assure you. 340sRule, you can probably attest to that. You gotta be making massive torque out of that thing to do that. I gotta give those M/T's some credit though. Once I get this thing put back together, I think there is a firechicken getting a little nervous.

that firechicken should be damn nervous!

Good hooking tires will always find the Achilles heel of a drivetrain. Sorry to hear you had that happen to you. Hope to see you back together soon.

Thanks Longgone. Hope to have back together by this weekend for races. My neighbor(Chevy man) even admits the dam Mopar sb strokers are kick ***.

Got my center section from Mancini Racing today its a thing of beauty=P~,can't wait to launch the duster again...and yes those m/t's are awsume you'll need to play with the pressure to find what your car likes,my duster seems happy at 15 psi..

-
Back