Carpet install 68 fastback

-

harrytoes

Reaction score
Got my carpet ready for install. I don't have the original so I'm struggling trying to get it right. I got the first part in (back seat area). Might have trimmed a little too much so I dont want to mess up on the front part. It is an auto with a center console.

I lined up the molded parts of the carpet and it seems I might need to cut the finished edge? Anyone have a picture of their carpets?

20190708_105911.jpg

20190707_172152.jpg

I had to trim the front edge (where the steering column goes through the floor) a couple inches, all the way across. A little on the sides too-sill plate area.

I had to trim the front edge (where the steering column goes through the floor) a couple inches, all the way across. A little on the sides too-sill plate area.
The other end where the finished edge meets the center console mount?

I had to trim a lot up front never mind the sides. I did it slowly, column and gas pedal was slow and easy. Tucked extra behind the heater box with no issues.

Do not cut the trimmed edge off the front carpet, it is there for a reason.
As stated by others, you trim the front edge of the front carpet that is by the firewall, and sides as needed
I checked mine, the front carpet lays on top of the rear carpet, overlaying by approx 1.5"-2".
Based on your pic, rough idea would be the finished edge of the front carpet lays right in front of the center console mounting bracket.
If its molded to fit into floor pans, line it up based on that and trim up front.

It gets nervous while trimming around the shifter brackets. Like said above you want that finished edge seem in the right place. I had my original underlayment to help guide that. I sliced down the center line basically a bit at time. The footwells help guide that. Once it fit down over the shifter area it got easier, but still required patience. Hook blades in the knife are the only way! I used the mass back, shaped carpet.

Put bolts in your seat bolt holes so you can find them. I forgot about them and had to get under the car with an ice pick to find them. You can use an old soldering iron to burn holes for the seat belt bolts.

As said before , take your time. It is better to trim a little multiple times than a lot all at once.

Put bolts in your seat bolt holes so you can find them. I forgot about them and had to get under the car with an ice pick to find them. You can use an old soldering iron to burn holes for the seat belt bolts.

As said before , take your time. It is better to trim a little multiple times than a lot all at once.

Soldering iron is a must. I did the same and was not concerned. Poke up from the bottom with a pick and burn not drill!

Here's pics of OEM install, not replacement carpet, to show you how firewall edge would look and approx. where the finished edge would line up.
Looks like finished edge on carpet lines up about with the front screw in the storage compartment of console.
Tried taking a pic of that but seats are too close to console so you can't see finished edge, so took pic showing sill plate screws for reference.

IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1617.JPG

Got my carpet ready for install. I don't have the original so I'm struggling trying to get it right. I got the first part in (back seat area). Might have trimmed a little too much so I dont want to mess up on the front part. It is an auto with a center console.

I lined up the molded parts of the carpet and it seems I might need to cut the finished edge? Anyone have a picture of their carpets?

View attachment 1715360652

View attachment 1715360653
Got it all in. Thanks for the help. It was a p

Got the carpet in. Thanks for the help. Only made one bad cut. Cant see it anyway.

20190710_171009.jpg

20190710_170957.jpg

Love that white interior!

How far does the console sit above the carpet in the back (the bottom off the plastic)? Mine has a transplanted console, so I don’t know. My console carpet piece has never fit right.

Pic of back side of console, from carpet on floor to bottom edge of plastic is 3.25".
Measured just to right of seam.
Note the carpet seam stitched together in the middle.

IMG_1625.JPG

Had a hard time getting the foot rest pad to line up under the pedals (had to trim on both sides). Did any one else come across this installing an ACC carpet?

The biggest mistake I made was cutting the carpet sides along the door sill plate to short! If I had some advice to give is cut that last, after the carpet is allowed to fit to all the contours.

I have been trying to find a picture of a console car without the console but the mounting brackets in place, thanks for this picture now I have part of the picture.:thumbsup:

Another one
2008-07-22_002.jpg

I don't recall having to trim the front of the front piece. (it was 11 years ago).

Alan

-
Back