Carrier For 8 1/4 Axle

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I have a 8 1/4 axle behind my 340 with the 904 trans and it has a Detroit Locker for a differential.
I am getting tired of the noise it makes going around corners and it has an annoying click it makes when taking off from a stop that can be heard outside of the car. But my 300 horse motor is not gonna break it so it has that going for it.
Now I'm thinking of replacing it with a more street friendly clutch type carrier.
There's a couple different one's for the 8 1/4 that are still available.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the 8 1/4 diffs and there strength.
Or should I just ignore the noise with the locker and forget about it?

The Locker can be noisy but it's a strong carrier. I have a clutch type from a 73 Duster. Works well and noise free! 65'

I swapped out an 8-1/4 to a 8-3/4 for the same thing. Annoying click from the wratchet style locker.

Limited slips are great and quiet. But not sure what name brand to recommend.
Maybe send a message to Dr Diff. He is really good about recommending products.

Also a 8-1/4 is good for up to like 500hp. very strong rear end for the street and you can get fancy chrome covers too!

I swapped out an 8-1/4 to a 8-3/4 for the same thing. Annoying click from the wratchet style locker.

Limited slips are great and quiet. But not sure what name brand to recommend.
Maybe send a message to Dr Diff. He is really good about recommending products.

Also a 8-1/4 is good for up to like 500hp. very strong rear end for the street and you can get fancy chrome covers too!
Thanks! I'll contact Dr Diff and see what he says.

-
Back