Carter 2bbd E85.

-

COUDA

Reaction score
Hello.My car is stock with 318ci engine and a 2 BBd carter carburetor. To run with E85, I read the jets must be changed (Diameter size + 20%).
Do you know if the metering rod should also be changed too? And how much?

Rubber hoses would also need to be changed,probably to the latest version used for F.I. cars.

IMHO the metering rods and the Jets combined are the total orifice size.

The hole area minus the rod is is the total area of the orifice.

That being said, bbd Jets are non existent. If you have extras you could drill them.

Keep in mind the OEM fuel sender was not designed for achohol, no idea what it would do to it.

Unknown about the fuel pump, the volume is probably going to be ok, but can it withstand achohol?

Hoses that are new last 5 years will probably be ok.

I had a variable fuel car from 92 and when I needed a replacement fuel pump, I called the manufacturer and was told that all of their currently sold products were achohol safe.

That being said, bbd Jets are non existent. If you have extras you could drill them.

Keep in mind the OEM fuel sender was not designed for achohol, no idea what it would do to it.

Unknown about the fuel pump, the volume is probably going to be ok, but can it withstand achohol?

I had a variable fuel car from 92 and when I needed a replacement fuel pump, I called the manufacturer and was told that all of their currently sold products were achohol safe.
I don't understand this: "IMHO the metering rods and the Jets combined are the total orifice size.

I don't understand this:"IMHO the metering rods and the Jets combined are the total orifice size.

The hole area minus the rod is is the total area of the orifice". E85 need to change jets size for bigger. (My carburator: 58 to 72) But what about metering rod size?

My point is. The metering rod sits inside the hole in the jet, it has different ODs and as it moves up and down it changes how much fuel can flow thru the jet. If (and I don't know the answer from the literature you are reading) that was taken into account, just up the jet size. But it seems to me that the jet size being opened up 20 % might make the metering rods moot. They will still have the effect of making the hole in the jet smaller or larger but the percentage will be different.

Think of it this way...
If you have a 12" diameter hole and you put an 8" diameter plug in it you will reduce the amount of flow of what ever you are trying to push thru the 12" dia hole. Now open the 12" hole to 24" that same 8" dia plug is not going to restrict the same percentage of flow.

Hope that makes sense.

I wish a carb tuner would chime in.

Maybe start a new thread titled "carb tuning for achohol"

My point is. The metering rod sits inside the hole in the jet, it has different ODs and as it moves up and down it changes how much fuel can flow thru the jet. If (and I don't know the answer from the literature you are reading) that was taken into account, just up the jet size. But it seems to me that the jet size being opened up 20 % might make the metering rods moot. They will still have the effect of making the hole in the jet smaller or larger but the percentage will be different.

Think of it this way...
If you have a 12" diameter hole and you put an 8" diameter plug in it you will reduce the amount of flow of what ever you are trying to push thru the 12" dia hole. Now open the 12" hole to 24" that same 8" dia plug is not going to restrict the same percentage of flow.

Hope that makes sense.

I wish a carb tuner would chime in.

Maybe start a new thread titled "carb tuning for achohol"
A friend, Have Coronet not with 2bbl but 1bbl carburator ( So no problem with metering rod) . He take only jet 20% bigger (58 to 72) and that's work fine with éthanol. My problem is to find the good metering rod size?

-
Back