Carter AVS question

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
I finally rebuilt the original Carter AVS that came stock with my 383 and it runs fine, and i took off my Carter 440 AVS that had the bogging problem, and the pump jet wasn't squirting when the accelerator pump was stroked, so i removed the pump jet, and put a pin along side the needle to see if it had movement, and wiggled it then put the pump jet back on, and it squirted. My question is the carb is a Carter 4966S which is a 1971 440 stock carb, so how do i stop this from happening again. the carb kits don't come with a replacement needle, but the instructions say that there is supposed to be a needle or a ball under the pump jet. not knowing if the carb has ever been rebuilt, i'm not sure if the needle is correct or if it should be a ball. any suggestions? many thanks Gerry

Usually (generally) a pump check with either have a needle or a ball and flat ended weight, so the ball takes the place of the needle, and the weight adds mass to the ball, so to speak. The 69 shop manual just mentions a needle

But there is also a check ball on the bottom of the pump well where fuel INTAKES into the pump

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 230
the AFB has a ball at the bottom of the pump, but apperantly the AVS has a grooved channel instead of the ball, which both of my AVS's have. my main concern is the sticking needle in the pump jet that stopped the fuel flow, and thus the extra shot of gas that would have omitted the bogging that i had. i wonder if you can buy a new needle, or substitute a ball and weight.

IF the seat is OK I see no good reason why you could not sub a ball. If there's enough room in there, you might even get away with turning the needle upside down on top of the ball

The 4966Ss uses a check valve and if the carb hasn't been used in a few years it could have just been gunked up by bad gas. The 4966S is also for the low performance (350HP) 440 so you might want to look for an HP AVS where the primary and secondary throttle bores are the same size.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think i'll get in there with a q-tip and laquer thinner to make sure things are extra clean and polish the needle up, and give it a try. thanks again Gerry

-
Back