carter avs question

-

konrad

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a couple of questions about my Carter AVS carburetor. It's from my 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 340 c.i.
My first question, I am rebuilding it and my diagram shows two "idle mixture screws and springs" at the base of the carburetor and a "by-pass idle air adjustment screw and spring" slightly higher and centered from the other two screws and springs. On my carburetor, the two "idle mixture screws and springs" are not there, they are plugged. Are they supposed to be plugged? Was this done from the factory, or was this done by someone after the car was purchased? The number stamped on the front of the base of the carb is "K8 4612S" if that helps.
My second question, while I was disassembling the carburetor for cleaning I broke one of the two brass screws on the secondary butterfly blade (not sure what it's really called, hopefully it's clear enough what I'm talking about). Is there a place that has replacement parts, specifically this screw? I've searched all sorts of carburetor parts websites with no luck. I'm trying not to have to buy a donor carb for one little brass screw.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Konrad

You might try Daytona Carburetor for the screw. Why the hell would you remove that anyway? The only reason I ever remove throttle blades is to bush the throttle shafts.

the screws are NOT like the regular screws. there could be TWO ways they did this 1. the screws you need to get to are under a lead plug. NOT at an angle but flat. you need a small drill put a small hole in the lead plug then put a small screw in and pull the lead plug out. and use a small screwdriver to adjust the screw in the main casting. you might be able to replace the one in there with a regular screw and spring. 2. it might have an alul cover over the screw might be a part of on the main casting. i think it might have to be broken off. but cant remember much about it. 3. THEN the off idle dead spot is an other story.

He was askin specifically about throttle blade screws last.

-
Back