Carter AVS secondary spray bar question

-

oliver

Reaction score
Ok, a question for all the avs masters out there. I've got a pretty virgin looking 4966s avs and the secondary spray bars are different from one barrel to the other. Is this typical? One has one large hole on the end nearest the throttle blade and 2 larger holes at the top. Then the other spray bar has one small hole in the end and on the opposite side 2 larger holes on the same end. I do not believe these were modified. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?
3Os8y0Gh.jpg

9Eh8EBXh.jpg

Yes, normal. That system of odd size holes & hole spacing continued on production TQs.
I have asked on many forums about how 'it' works, but have yet to get a satisfactory answer.

I’m guessing that it might have something to do with the fact that the stock intake manifold is a dual plane. Most likely the single hole is for the side that has the higher port floor and the two holes for the side with the lower port floor. I’ll have to check a carb and manifold when I get out to the shop.

Very interesting.... I wonder how this will affect fuel distribution when used on a single plane. I guess I can pry out the spray bars and make new ones. Or not use this carb.

Very interesting.... I wonder how this will affect fuel distribution when used on a single plane. I guess I can pry out the spray bars and make new ones. Or not use this carb.
It probably doesn’t matter since the plenum is open on a single plane manifold. The 4966 is a low performance 440 AVS. I’ll have to check my stash of AVS’s to see if the high performance AVS’s are made the same way.

I sure wouldn't. I don't think the rest of the engine will ever know the difference.

It probably doesn’t matter since the plenum is open on a single plane manifold. The 4966 is a low performance 440 AVS. I’ll have to check my stash of AVS’s to see if the high performance AVS’s are made the same way.
The LP 4966 spray bars have two holes in the drivers side and three on the passenger side. The HP 440 carb has three on each side but the holes are larger than on the LP 4966. FYI, the drivers side of the stock manifold has the low port floor and the passenger side has the higher port floor.

The LP 4966 spray bars have two holes in the drivers side and three on the passenger side. The HP 440 carb has three on each side but the holes are larger than on the LP 4966. FYI, the drivers side of the stock manifold has the low port floor and the passenger side has the higher port floor.
This 4966 has 3 holes in each spray bar, just in different positions and sizes.

-
Back