Carter BBD tuning issues

-
Ok, so to add to this conundrum of mine, there is an unexplained, what looks to be a vacuum hose hookup that is fairly large on the opposite side of the carb from the idle adjust screw. I do not see it pictured or talked about in my manual, so I don't know what engine it's from. I looked at the numbers the other day but I don't remember them. I will post them later after work. Until then, does anyone know what this might be?

Wire the choke 100 open, you can live without it but itll make cold starts a little cranky. IF your choke is not 100 open at warm or about 5 minutes after you start the car, your choke is misadjusted or just bad. There may be a screw on the base of the bimetallic choke base that you can turn, you want to turn it so its wide open when warm. The heat from the intake causes the spring to 'unwind', when you set the choke with your gas pedal on a cold morning (1 pump) it 'cocks' the choke closed (actually it just releases the choke mechanism which is now under cold spring tension, with a snap) which also catches a little cam that holds your throttle open a tad. you should be able to just turn the key to start with no other pedal play and it will light off and be at your fast idle (which can be adjusted ~1100 by screw) once the car is warm, you hit the gas again and the choke unloads (due to a warm spring now) because the little cam that holds the throttle open lifts,and releases the choke rod which is now under a warm spring tension (opposite rotation than cold). Now your throttle is closed to idle position and your choke is wide open. The vacuum unloader is there to force a closed choke open slightly when you mash the gas when still choked. The choke must be fully opened at warm. If not make it so. Those bimetallic springs wear out and can be replaced with a new choke unit.

Wire the choke 100 open, you can live without it but itll make cold starts a little cranky. IF your choke is not 100 open at warm or about 5 minutes after you start the car, your choke is misadjusted or just bad. There may be a screw on the base of the bimetallic choke base that you can turn, you want to turn it so its wide open when warm. The heat from the intake causes the spring to 'unwind', when you set the choke with your gas pedal on a cold morning (1 pump) it 'cocks' the choke closed (actually it just releases the choke mechanism which is now under cold spring tension, with a snap) which also catches a little cam that holds your throttle open a tad. you should be able to just turn the key to start with no other pedal play and it will light off and be at your fast idle (which can be adjusted ~1100 by screw) once the car is warm, you hit the gas again and the choke unloads (due to a warm spring now) because the little cam that holds the throttle open lifts,and releases the choke rod which is now under a warm spring tension (opposite rotation than cold). Now your throttle is closed to idle position and your choke is wide open. The vacuum unloader is there to force a closed choke open slightly when you mash the gas when still choked. The choke must be fully opened at warm. If not make it so. Those bimetallic springs wear out and can be replaced with a new choke unit.

All of that happens except the choke wide open. If the choke is wide open the plate is straight up and down right? That is the choke right? Exactly how hard would the cold start be?

Ok, so to add to this conundrum of mine, there is an unexplained, what looks to be a vacuum hose hookup that is fairly large on the opposite side of the carb from the idle adjust screw. I do not see it pictured or talked about in my manual, so I don't know what engine it's from. I looked at the numbers the other day but I don't remember them. I will post them later after work. Until then, does anyone know what this might be?

Also, that port is not hooked up to anything? Should it be?

if it is big and low, like 1/4 inch, its a power brake vacuum line. just plug it if you dont run PB's. you need a vacuum tight intake for a carb to work decently. if its high, its likely a bowl vent or some other BS that can be capped but it wont affect driveability as its above the butterfly of the carb. Choke is vertical when off, straight up and down. sounds like your choke is just out of adjustment. look at spring and check for a screw, you can turn it to alter choke position. I believe you want to turn it so the coil is looser: a cold spring wants to wind up, a hot spring wants to relax.

if it is big, like 1/4 inch, its a power brake vacuum line. just plug it if you dont run PB's. you need a vacuum tight intake for a carb to work decently. Choke is vertical when off, straight up and down. sounds like your choke is just out of adjustment. look at spring and check for a screw, you can turn it to alter choke position.

Copy that! I would say that it is about 1/4 in. That could explain some things. What should I plug it with? Sorry I'm acting so brand new, but I am. Haha! I will check for that adjustment as well.

Copy that! I would say that it is about 1/4 in. That could explain some things. What should I plug it with? Sorry I'm acting so brand new, but I am. Haha! I will check for that adjustment as well.

It is high on the carb btw. I missed the low part that you said. It comes out at the side and is at the very top of the carb.

Well, I did some more tinkering and I've got her running way better. Night and day difference. My choke was opening all of the way but seems to close back up while sitting there at idle for a while. I think I need to adjust the timing a little. Where is the set screw that holds it in place?

-
Back