Carter BBD vs Holley 2280

-

Grasshopper

Reaction score
I just received my super six manifold and assemblies and am ready to start planning to reinstall. The super 6 2bbl manifold I bought came with a Carter BBD and will need to be rebuilt. I understand that some of the super 6 `s came with a Holley 2280 and was just wondering how they compare between performance ,gas mileage economy, and durability. Thanks!

I have 34 years of experience with BBD. It was good, then my carb developed a small internal leak that resulted in rough running at idle speeds when warmed up.

I the changed out to a Holley 2280. It fixed the idle, and resulted in a few MPG increase. I also added evap control with carbon canister, that is a necessity with modern fuel.

The Holley is more robust in the mechanical strength for top and throttle shaft. How long it will hold up is unknown. My largest concern is the Holley nitro float, vs the brass float in the BBD.

Much depends on the quality of the core. Over time pot metal warps, and the sealing of the impregnation process fails. Also many carbs are ruined by the idle mixture screws bottomed out with excessive torque. Most rebuilder carbs are junk.

I would buy the Holley. I would want one that has both the mechanical and vacuum operated metering rods. Some sold nos, have a plain jet to replace the mechanical rod.

Run gas without alcohol. There are compatibility issues with modern gas additives and the float.

I am not sure if this one has both. Can you tell from looking at it? (attached)

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJDEE7zHG5I-yBPGGu78,LQ~~60_1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 489
I need to see inside the cover in the upper right side of picture. The lever the operates the piston for the accelerator pump also has the ability to raise a left metering rod. The important for me is that it lowers at curb idle, and improves low speed fuel control.

one more photo, Thanks!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJCUE7zK)bsOQBPGGuSVv,g~~60_1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 568
Nice looking carb. Looks new, not a rebuild.

The install involves setting the pump arm at curb idle, and adjusting the mechanical metering rod drop, and more. I can post the instructions found in a kit, or a url if I can find it again. Not difficult to do. It might make a difference in throttle response. I am pleased how it works on a 273.

-
Back