Carter BBD vs Holley 2280

-

Grasshopper

Reaction score
I just received my super six manifold and assemblies and am ready to start planning to reinstall. The super 6 2bbl manifold I bought came with a Carter BBD and will need to be rebuilt. I understand that some of the super 6 `s came with a Holley 2280 and was just wondering how they compare between performance ,gas mileage economy, and durability. which one would you choose? Thanks!

the Holley 2280 or Carter bbd are very similar. I've run them both on super six set ups and honestly I've never been able to tell a difference. I do know its best to find one new if you can, as opposed to a remanufactured junk piece from Autozone.

This Holly r8691 is available on ebay right now and is a direct replacement for the 2280. I bought one a month ago and its currently running on my super six. its new, was set at the factory and needed very little adjustment.

Ive done a few super six conversions and I've found the brand of the carb you install is seldom an issue. As with any engine upgrade everything is dependent upon each other. The biggest concern with the super six upgrade are the exhaust leaks that might happen when making the swap. Also Is the timing set correctly? Are all the vacuum leaks taken care of around the carb? (Sometimes you have to tighten the screws that sandwich the carb together) Have you set the valve lash? And finally is the choke set correctly?

Good luck with your build. Holler if you have questions. Ive learned alot about what not to do...

http://http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=holley+2bbl+r8691+slant+6+mopar+carburetor+new&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I ended up ordering the Holly r8691 from the same listing on E bay last year. The motor has been rebuilt (1971 Scamp w/stock cam) The carb is popping ( seems like it is running lean) a bit. I have checked for vacuum leaks already and am wondering if I need to re jet drill out the jets to make it run richer. Do you think this would help? Can you recommend a jet size? Thanks!

I have a holley 2300 series on my slant 6. I like it because I has an electric choke which is much more reliable.

-
Back