Carter BBS 3838s Proper Idle Mixture Screw

-

Jack Curran

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm rebuilding a Carter BBS 3838s for my 65 Valiant. The old idle mixture screw and the step up piston hold down screw have rolled away on me.

I was able to source a hold down screw for the step up piston here: https://quadrajetparts.com/step-piston-plate-screw-carter-thread-p-1257.html

There are a lot of different idle mixture screws for a BBS to choose from. I unfortunately don't have a picture of what the old one looked like. I'm wondering if there is anyone that knows the proper idle mixture screw for this carb or where there would be an old parts list to look it up from.

Thank your for your time and Merry Christmas!

Hi all,
I'm rebuilding a Carter BBS 3838s for my 65 Valiant. The old idle mixture screw and the step up piston hold down screw have rolled away on me.

I was able to source a hold down screw for the step up piston here: https://quadrajetparts.com/step-piston-plate-screw-carter-thread-p-1257.html

There are a lot of different idle mixture screws for a BBS to choose from. I unfortunately don't have a picture of what the old one looked like. I'm wondering if there is anyone that knows the proper idle mixture screw for this carb or where there would be an old parts list to look it up from.

Thank your for your time and Merry Christmas!

page 13_zps4qtzmbkv.jpg

If that ebay carb really is 4198, no tag picture, it will have 30A-121 mixture screw.
Sorry I just saw this now. Thank you so much! I have contacted the person on ebay about the carb. I will post a picture of the idle mixture screw to the forum if I have any luck in case anyone else needs to know what it looks like, tough to find photos of it anywhere. Thank you again!

If that ebay carb really is 4198, no tag picture, it will have 30A-121 mixture screw.

Just got an email back from the ebay ad you sent. The seller said they have two original 4198s carburetors but one has a different sized idle mixture screw than the other. They kindly offered to sell just the base plate from either carb separately. I'm thinking someone has replaced the base plate on their carbs at one point or another. Assuming I get pictures of the base plate and the passages on it match up with mine, are the base plates interchangeable on a carter BBS?

-
Back