Carter BBS rebuild.

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
Searched for weeks and everywhere I could think of to find a rebuild kit for the one-barrel Carter on my Valiant. Finally found it from CARBKING at about 5 times the price it should be and to boot it had no rebuild instructions or specs.

So having said all that, does anybody have in their archives a set of instructions/specs for rebuilding a Carter BBS?
TIA Vern

No idea why you had such difficulty finding a carb kit. They're readily and easily available, though the mass-market kits have lately been decreasing in completeness and quality. None of them includes the necessary correct float gauge any more, you just get a useless strip of paper ruler that can't be used to set the pontoon float on a BBS or BBD. The best ordinary kits come from www.daytonaparts.com . Still no proper float gauge, but their inlet needle and seat is a (genuinely) improved design. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Thanks Dan.

Not to be disrespectful, but that site is hardly "readily available". Just a contact form to fill out and wait who knows how long with no clue on price. There is a phone number but for the hobbyist who has to work every day in a field not mechanical in nature it is difficult to find what you need. To me, readily available is go to the parts store and pick one up.

You can get a marginally passably acceptable carb kit at a parts store. They'll probably have to order it; might take 'em a couple days. Or you can get one at rockauto.com and wait for it in the mail.

But…

…this is the year 2011. The newest A-body is 35 years old. The oldest is 51 years old. Yours is 46 years old. It is a complete freakin' miracle that you can find anything applicable to your car, beyond universals like oil, coolant, and light bulbs, by walking into an auto parts store. And that's without even factoring in the quality issue; finding parts of good quality for old cars almost never happens in local parts stores any more.

That is the unfortunate reality we live in. If you want good quality, correct parts for your ancient car, you will generally have to put up with some inconvenience and deal with the vendors who cater to us.

I see you haven't bought one at a parts store lately. I checked with rockauto, and local NAPA Checker and Autozone stores. They couldn't even order it.

I see you haven't bought one at a parts store lately.

Wrong. Six weeks ago I was in sudden need of a BBS kit. The regular normal Parts Plus store down the street from me (in Seattle) had it the day after I called it in.

I checked with rockauto, and local NAPA Checker and Autozone stores. They couldn't even order it.

Yeah, they could. They just didn't feel like helping you for whatever reason. NAPA kit number 2-5500, Walker number 15483A (many other brands also use this number), Standard-Hygrade kit number 1636. RockAuto shows the Standard-Hygrade #1636 in stock for $13.47. Similar pricing from NAPA for the 2-5500.

-
Back