Carter BBS - what's the difference in these two

-

oppielight

Reaction score
I am absolutely confused and extremely limited in my knowledge. I have a 1964 automatic valiant 225 wagon and would like to install one of these cart BBS carburetors. I can see the physical difference but not sure which one is for my car. Does it matter? The manual refers to one as a spring staged choke and the other a well type choke (i think). The holley 1920 I currently have installed does not have that spring staged feature. So, I am thinking of going with the Carter bbs that also does not have that spring staged feature.

Attachments

• DSCF4667-X3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 788736065_o.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 104
Many thanks to SlantSixDan for answering my question.

There's nothing significant you'd really need to know. The throttle lever is configured a little differently (the one near the Federated box is a later-production carb with a throttle lever that will work on a variety of '60-'70 cars; the other one will work only on '60-'66 Dart/Valiant/Lancer/Barracuda plus '60-'61 Dodge/Plymouth. There is a minor difference in the choke lever configuration, but it's not important. Yes, the one near the Federated box has a spring-staged choke and the other one doesn't, but they're both for use with the same "well-type" (remote, divorced) choke thermostat.

"Rebuilt" or "Remanufactured" carburetors are usually a losing gamble, but if I had to pick one of these you've pictured, it's obvious more careful attention was paid to the carb near the Federated box, so that's the one I'd try first. The other one has been abrasively cleaned and not recoated against corrosion, which is a sure-fire recipe for severe carb trouble sooner than later once gasoline (which all has alcohol in it nowtimes) begins flowing through it.

-
Back