Carter carb tuning ?s

-

scottymizt

Reaction score
hey guys need your input and any advice you have. I have a commando 273 in my baby with the 4sp. My dad upgraded the cam in the old girl a while ago and he doesn't rememeber what it is. My question is when trying to tune the carter for more fuel what has to be done? I'm thinking bigger jets but which ones are right and is there anything else that can be changed? I do have a problem of after it sits for a little bit it floods out. I actually watched it one day when i was working on it as it was off nothing was being touched and fuel was dripping into the carb from the jets. Anyone else expirence this? To me it seems my car runs lean from what i could see on the carb there isn't any 'adjustment" for richening it up just to set the air adjustment and idle mixture.

"fuel was dripping into the carb from the jets"

what do you mean by that statement..you cant see the jets without taking the carb apart

scottymizt said:
hey guys need your input and any advice you have. I have a commando 273 in my baby with the 4sp. My dad upgraded the cam in the old girl a while ago and he doesn't rememeber what it is. My question is when trying to tune the carter for more fuel what has to be done? I'm thinking bigger jets but which ones are right and is there anything else that can be changed? I do have a problem of after it sits for a little bit it floods out. I actually watched it one day when i was working on it as it was off nothing was being touched and fuel was dripping into the carb from the jets. Anyone else expirence this? To me it seems my car runs lean from what i could see on the carb there isn't any 'adjustment" for richening it up just to set the air adjustment and idle mixture.

There are quite a few adjustments. There are no 'right' jets for your combo. Only trial and error will tell you that. As far as fuel coming out, likely its getting very hot and that is a somewhat common problem. Causing hard hot starting, vapor lock and such. Maybe try a phenolic spacer underneith. As far as getting it more gas. Carters have a pump shot adjustment for off idle 'nailing it', there are metering rods, jet sizes, and when the secondaires kick in. I'd recommend picking up a carter book, i can sit here all day and try to explain it all lol.

-Mike

i'll look for a book on the carters i ment the priming jets or tubes in the top of the carb. Goody hit it on the head tho i too think it was a heat thing making the gas come out.I miss fuel injection :(

scottymizt said:

Before I look at a carb spacer check the float levels which may be to high and the added heat is causing the gas to percolate out the sprayers. Carter carbs use metering rods with a little piston on top that senses vacuum and a fixed orifice jet at the bottom. You can change the size of the rods to give you different fuel deliveries as the engine vacuum changes due to different throttle positions. Watching your sparkplug colors will tell you which direction to go either way and yes do some reading.

As others have said, you were seeing gas percolating out the discharge tubes in the booster venturris. If the engine was fairly warm, the gasoline in the float bowl was boiling and the vapors were condensing in the tubes and dripping into the venturris. A heat isolator plate might help a little, but will do little for heat soak, as underhood heat will affect the carb regardless. This has always been the case with carburetors, but perhaps is worse with todays gasoline blends. Modern cars with fuel injection and electric underhood fans have made us forget the "good ol days" of carbs.

Check the float level as sugested, set as per the factory service manual (post your carb # maybe somebody on the board can give you specs). As for letting more fuel into the engine goes, why do think it is too lean? Unless you have a major lean-surge, I would think twice about arbitrary carb mods.

OK, so your ignition system is 110% and you want to play with the carb. Step one would be getting a rebuild kit, thoroughly cleaning the carb, and reassembling with new gaskets (and pump). Set everything as per factory specs. Also note the #s of your primary jets (front), secondary jets (rear), and metering rods. Put the carb back on the engine and live with it for a day or two. Next step would be changing needles 2 numbers smaller. If that makes a HUGE difference, then you were indeed lean. Little or no difference would suggest you were pretty good to begin with and will likely just wreck fuel mileage.

Remember that most "fuel" problems are ignition related. Also, too rich a mixture will cause most if not all the same symptoms as too lean. Without knowing your combo, it's really hard to make any sort of suggestion besides making sure that everything you have now is working properly before you go making changes.

-
Back