carter-competition float level

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
I got two nice mid 1990's Carters on my little 340. Its doing really good expect fuel mileage. The carbs were nos 2 summers ago, I just adjusted the floats last week, looking at the floats they are just angle up a little from being flat level with the body holding the top upside down. The floats were angle up more and gave it a lower float level in the carbs.

That worked out very nicely. Was able to go from .066--.055 metering rods to .073--.060. Gas mileage went up 2 miles, same style of driving gives it a honest 11 mpg (i'm getting happy, lol--it was around 9 mpg)

I'm woundering how high the float level can-should be. Should the floats being even level with the top...sorry no pictures. I know I should just try it but taking 2 tops off takes time and I like doing it on cold carbs so not to mess up any threads.

I will be going in to it soon to find out which size front jets are in it and go down .003--maybe .006 (two sizes smaller) Then it could go back to the .066--.055 rods. Right now it seems pretty close, feels a tad lean when the motor first starts cold for the day--thses are 9502 chokeless carbs, 500 cfm hook 1 to 1. It drives better than way, more even throttle power.

..........I always set them level to the air horn [top].......they r actuall supposed to b higher[less than parallel.....kim........

..........I always set them level to the air horn [top].......they r actuall supposed to b higher[less than parallel.....kim........

Thanks for your advice, maybe I should just leave them now alone. My driving style can be high G's at times/ Michigan has this dumb thing were for many left turns you need to drive PASS the road you want to turn on and make a U turn an 1/8 of a mile pass the street you wanna go on. Waste of time, waste of fuel and yet many here joke about it and call it a Michigan Lefty. Even some 55 mph zones have them. So what happens is a high G left U and then step on the gas til the intersection and make a high G right turn and then step on the gas once again. Right now it can handle it just fine, who needs F.I., lol

-
Back