CARTER VS HOLLEY

-

67DARTGTCONV

Reaction score
HELLO! first posting,

I have a 360 Dart with a auto trans.
It currently has a Carter carb with mech secondary, no choke, which is terrible. Constant heavy black smoke when accelerating or even just tappping the gas in neutral. When you hit off the line it simply falls flat on its face and will stall. Timing ect on the money.

Is it worth redoing the carb or should I simply throw it out and install a Vac Secondary 750 Holley?

Suggestions?

I dont like holleys very much one back fire and there wasted then u got to rebuild the damn things iv had to do i a million times i use a carter 650 on my 318 and shes fine she cam back fire a ton of times and still work great that just what i lke thought!

The back fire doesnt destroy the carb. It will ruptyre the power valve. They take 5 mins. to replace.

Plus you shouldnt be backfiring threw the carb :mrgreen:

I personally prefer Holleys, but only because I have no experience with any other carbs.

I guess I'm more comfortable with them.

Take that Carter off of there and pop on one of those new Street Avenger carbs. 670 CFM, electric choke, vacuum secondaries,

Well, I went out and bought a Carter book today. I hope I get somewhere with it. It seems a lot of our local cars run with Carter. Still prefer Holley though.

Does anyone know what CFM this carb is by the Carb Tag AB 44265S.

Thanks for all of your responses!!

John

I did find some info. The carb it seems is off a 383 M/T. No wonder it is so rich.

The 340 used a 4425. Does any one know the jetting of this carb or or thier 340/360 Carter?

Thanks

John

Carters will work ok but I also prefer Holley's. I use a 750 DP on my sons 383 Dart that I did some minor mods to and it works great on that mild combo. I also used a 700 DP years ago on my 340 that worked very nice for me. Ron

-
Back