cast crank 440, how much can it take????

-

6valiant9

Reaction score
i was wondering how much a cast crank lower end can take for power in a 440. I have a line on a 76 440 which is a good running engine for a really good price.

thanks a bunch

550 FWHP should'nt be a problem, That'll get you around 470 or there abouts to the rear wheels, easy 10s in a 32-3300 A body with the right components/suspention, I know a few that pulled there cast crank 440s in the 65-6700 range with no issues bracket racing, GOOD machine work & lower end prep is key, but thats with any build. Plan on a total rebuild & change the pistons/rods, you'll need to get the compression up & a good set of heads, Now my old duster ran 10.75 & 125 with mild 906s at 3300+ lbs. race weight with the current owner, he weighs 300 lbs., Thats with a lowdeck 451, compression was 9.73 & a .590 MP cam. So done right & say a set of Indy EZ heads, .600 lift cam, about 10.6-10.8 comp, the right stall & gears with the race weight around 3200 lbs., No reason you shouldn't be able to run low-mid 10s..

I'll add, I ran a steel crank & factory 40 yr. old rods in that 451, Good rod bolts are "key", I was going to get the standard ARPs, but my machinest suggested the ARP "wavelock" instead, There a good 3 times as strong as a factory bolt, It had ross pistons, I trapped that engine at 62-6300 & a good 250 passes without a problem, The currect owner installed a .590 cam & 456 gears & twisted it to 67-6800 & trapped at 7200 & still no issues, Thats why the rods bolts are key, the rings finally gave up in 3 cylinders, rods/bolts never failed.

the cast cranks can take way more than you would wver imagine. i found the same year you are thinking about getting on the side of the road some 20 years ago. i loaded it up and home it went. took it apart new baearing, rings and valve job. installed a used cam and chrysler long ram, two carter afb's and headers. put it in my 66 coronet and used it for years to tow the hotrod all over florida. then one day i kicked a rod out of the hotrods motor and took the motor out of the 66 and installed it in the hotrod and raced it for several years. got some money ahead and build another motor for the hotrod and back into th e66 it went. wanting to get into street racing i install a 3 stage nos system on it. two 125 stages and one 250 stage. beat that thing up for a few more years until it split the bathtub gasket and sucked in the insulating pad under the carb, toasted the bearings. don't be afraid to purchase your 76, it'll last along time.

Wow!!, thanks alot for the info. it really helps. i'm picking it up tomorrow as it is.

Now i have some ideas of what to do. and i know compresion and rod bolts are key. I have a set of 915 heads i might slap on there to start and some lower end work to freshin it up a bit. The great thing is its standard bore so the block has some potential for later years, and comes complete intake to oil pan.

thanks again

ross

It will last til it breaks.

Herb McCandless told me it will handle 500hp. "Its as thick as your ankle" is what he said to me.

I've heard they are more than reliable at the 600 HP level. I had one made about 550 lasted me for 10 years, sold the engine and it's still going some 25 years later. In fact my friend just freshened it two years ago.

-
Back