Caster Angle on Manual Steering

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I'm thinking about redoing the front suspension on my car with new shocks and maybe some tubular UCA's. It has a factory front end with poly bushings and no anti sway bar.
I'm sure that when I had it aligned 15 years ago that they just set it to the 1967 specs with very little caster. What will the steering effort be with modern caster settings with manual steering? How much caster can you get with the offset bushings and stock UCA's?
A couple pics where the UCA arms are set now.

Attachments

• Dad's Pictures 005 (800x600).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Dad's Pictures 006 (800x600).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 304
If you don't do a lot of tight parking and aren't running really wide front tires, you can get away with 2.5* positive. It also depends on what your parking tactics are. Going down the road, you won't notice it much at all.

These are such light cars, you will never notice the difference.

When I went through the front end on my 68 I tried to get as much castor a I could. I think I came up with about 2.5 degrees or so. The parking lot turns are more difficult than before, but it drives down the highway like its on a rail. Im very happy with it.

I've managed to get upto 4.5 - 5 deg. caster with the MOOG offset bushings.
But I've got the Borgeson powersteering box which feels modern compared to the original stock slushbox which was on the car before.

Thanks, looks like the offset bushings should get me in the 4.5 range on the caster. I'm going to try the steering box to k member bearing kit and the stronger tie rod end adjuster too. I also have a 20:1 ratio parts for the manual steering box.
Oh, better shocks than the Monroe gas magnums on it now.

I have rielly motorsports uca's on mine and 5 degrees of caster never really bothered me much with manual steering. Run the most caster you can get with the proper amount of camber.

Increased caster definitely makes the car feel a lot better when driving down the road. I have 3 in the car now and will be upping that to the 7 degree or so range here soon.

-
Back