Catalytic Converter on a 65 Slant 6?

-

schmoe

Reaction score
This may sounds crazy to many... I am trying to figure of ways to have my daily driver 65 Dart GT not smell terrible.

Has anyone added a Catalytic Converter to your pre-smog Slant 6?

Or does anyone have any recommendations on how to make it burn cleaner? I have electronic ignition, new exhaust, it is tuned up really well, has no mechanical engine problems - it just smells like a old lawnmower when I am sitting in traffic.

I had a mid 60's 327 chevy that I put in a 81 Monte Carlo, went to get exhaust done and they had to put a catalytic convertor on due to the year of the car, and it turned the 327 into a dog.

I always thought the catalytic converter was the source of bad smells. (hydrogen sulphides). Anyways, cats on a carburated engine sounds kind of risky. If you are the slightest bit to the rich side, they will heat up red hot as they burn up the unused hydrocarbons. Big fire risk.

I always thought the catalytic converter was the source of bad smells. (hydrogen sulphides).

catalytic converters ARE the cause of the rotten egg smells of the newer cars today, if you smell gas at lights your running rich and with a new exhaust system you shouln't be able to smell whats coming out the tailpipe

Bad idea as catalytic converters themselves are a bad idea IMO. They will stop up and ruin gas mileage and kill the power. I wished I would have sawzalled mine off of my '80 Diplomat before that it became a fire hazard...to late..

I would not put one on anything unless it would not pass inspection or some other issue.

-
Back