Cautionary tale

-

44070dart

How the hell did I get this old..
Reaction score
Cautionary tale ..I like that, heard it in a movie the other day. A couple weeks ago, 17 days to be exact, my neighbor told me he was having his hot water tank replaced. It was 16 years old, and he had his wife bugging him to replace it. He had a friend who was a retired plumber and did him a favor by replacing it for him. I said ask him if he could do mine, as I have been in this house 18 years and the tank was here when we moved in. He asked his friend, but he said sorry, I don't want to get back into the business, and just did my neighbor a favor because they were friends. So I did nothing ! Yep ! .. last night my tank started spewing water out of it. I have half my basement finished and the tank is right next to the door into the finished room and 1/4 of the carpet got wet. Drywall looks alright, thank God. Luckily the water ran towards sump pump right along the wall, so the rest of the basement is dry. Carpet will be a problem but could have been MUCH worse. Told my wife she should have bitched at me like my neighbors wife. :poke:Didn't go over well, nope, not well at all. SO, if you have a tank that's older than your your mother-in-laws hairdo get a new one, ....... tank, not mother-in-law. Words of wisdom for y'all

Tanks for the warning! Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:
Maybe you can peel the carpet back and dry it with a fan. Just get back to dry area on the padding and cut it out and replace the wet part.

Some folks try to eeek out extra time on decade+ old tires thinking they look fine and another year or two before replacing them.

Can’t help but think a lot of peeps also think the same thing when they walk by their hot water tank. It’s been great the past 10+yrs so I should be able to get another year or maybe they will be on sale next month. Then is starts to leak which sometimes requires more work than just replacing the old tank with a new one.

-
Back