Cawleys trunk panel update

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Well I got the lettering done on 69 barracuda trunk panel. I used a fine paint brush & sprayed paint from the can into the cap. When done I took some 2000 grit sand paper with a small sanding block over the letters. I think I could of done a better job with a finer brush. Tried to touch up the formula s emblem. Its in bad shape. Can afford a new one. Plus no one sell them, unless they are NOS. Chaching !!

Attachments

• 69 cuda trunk panel 001.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 69 cuda trunk panel 002.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 69 cuda trunk panel 003.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 69 cuda trunk panel 007.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 69 cuda trunk panel 006.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 69 cuda trunk panel 005.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 69 cuda trunk panel 004.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 208
Looks Good!!!

That is what I tried with the 2000 grit and managed to get a few scratch's in the black. Got frustrated and set it aside for a while.

I basically do the same except I use OOOO steel wool , I find if I go lightly across instead of in the direction of I get a cleaner finish , I have 2 of these panels and end up doing them both every year . I am thinking this is the year I sell them both and by a re-pop .

Looks Good!!!

That is what I tried with the 2000 grit and managed to get a few scratch's in the black. Got frustrated and set it aside for a while.

Yea, that's what I have to do sometimes. I just used the edge of the sand paper to clean the edges of the letters.

I am throwing around the idea of putting a coat of flat clear on the painted areas. Not sure. It would make it easier to clean & it would last longer. :???:

I think it looks great.

I basically do the same except I use OOOO steel wool , I find if I go lightly across instead of in the direction of I get a cleaner finish , I have 2 of these panels and end up doing them both every year . I am thinking this is the year I sell them both and by a re-pop .

I suggest you do not buy the re-pop and get the right paint from Totaly-Auto. Do what has worked for you before or better yet start selling a premade masking kit for all of us 69 owners. LOL!!!!

I suggest you do not buy the re-pop and get the right paint from Totaly-Auto. Do what has worked for you before or better yet start selling a premade masking kit for all of us 69 owners. LOL!!!!

Masking Kit - 1/4 in. blue fine line tape, 2 in. masking tape, masking paper or news paper, 400 or 600 grit sand paper, wax & grease remover, black & red paint of your chose, real fine paint brush, lots of patience. Try to do it your self, you cant ruin it.

Unfortunatly they keep needing to be re-polished , I tried clear coating them but it started going milky after a year of driving .I drive my car a lot and it sees rain and dirt which is hard on the polished aluminum , one of the panel is showing signs of stress cracking and it just seems like it's time for a fresh start , that said the mask idea is a good one I wonder what the actual font name and size is ? I also wonder if it wouldn't be better to just make the letters in vinyl instead of making a paint mask hmmmmm.....

Masking Kit - 1/4 in. blue fine line tape, 2 in. masking tape, masking paper or news paper, 400 or 600 grit sand paper, wax & grease remover, black & red paint of your chose, real fine paint brush, lots of patience. Try to do it your self, you cant ruin it.

No......... I asked for a pre-made Masking template "Peel and stick"! LOL

Just do not get a re-pop as whoever does will not be happy ultimately!

Cawley I believe he was referring to an actual paint mask to stick on , shoot the letters then peel off

Never mind we're all typing at the same time lol .

I' m going to talk to an artist friend about making a paper mask that I can scan and save as a computer file for a vinyl cutter . I'll let you know if she's up for it , I'll probably have to sleep with her - the sacrifices we make for the hobby ...

Cawley I believe he was referring to an actual paint mask to stick on , shoot the letters then peel off

I' m going to talk to an artist friend about making a paper mask that I can scan and save as a computer file for a vinyl cutter . I'll let you know if she's up for it , I'll probably have to sleep with her - the sacrificed we make for the hobby ...

O my bad lol

I' m going to talk to an artist friend about making a paper mask that I can scan and save as a computer file for a vinyl cutter . I'll let you know if she's up for it , I'll probably have to sleep with her - the sacrifices we make for the hobby ...

So did you remove the anodize??? That would explain the milky ness.

I have tried to find the Font with no luck!!

Not sure what totally auto gets for the paint down there but up here it's cheaper just to have the local paint supplier load a spray bomb of the torch red and mines not an S car so I just buy the argent then shoot the one of the coats from a distance so it goes on real dry creating the texture ,like I said I have done this quite a bit and have it down pretty good but I sure wish it would last longer .
PS the torch red has to be the one from the time period as the formula has changed a few times before and after .

Yeah I had them polished professionally a few years ago and they polished everything including the anodized center section -I don't want to get into the whole anodized verses argent debate ,the guys here kept arguing that the panels were painted from the factory not anodized , moot in my case thanks to the over eager polisher eh lol.
The milkyness was on the polished strips and the polished parts of the letters

Not sure what totally auto gets for the paint down there but up here it's cheaper just to have the local paint supplier load a spray bomb of the torch red and mines not an S car so I just buy the argent then shoot the one of the coats from a distance so it goes on real dry creating the texture ,like I said I have done this quite a bit and have it down pretty good but I sure wish it would last longer .
PS the torch red has to be the one from the time period as the formula has changed a few times before and after .

$25 a spray can. Expensive but it is correct and lays down nicely.

Yeah it's over 50 here if you can get it I get color matched cans from my local guy for 30 which is like 20 in us dollars , the argent I get is like 12-15 bucks a can for aluminum wheels ,throw in some non caustic stripper and a roll of decent tape your taking 65-70 bucks every time , add the cost of paying polisher plus the cost of buying the second panel here on fabo used and after 7 years I could have bought 2or 3 of the repops by now , other than being a little thin what other problems do they have ?

Yeah it's over 50 here if you can get it I get color matched cans from my local guy for 30 which is like 20 in us dollars , the argent I get is like 12-15 bucks a can for aluminum wheels ,throw in some non caustic stripper and a roll of decent tape your taking 65-70 bucks every time , add the cost of paying polisher plus the cost of buying the second panel here on fabo used and after 7 years I could have bought 2or 3 of the repops by now , other than being a little thin what other problems do they have ?

Thin is an understatement! Maybe there is something you can spray on the back to stiffen it but I am not sure what that would be. Me and member Sammie have hashed that out and did not come to a good solution.

The fit on the 2 outer edges against the trunk face is less than disirable as well! You can work it (File and Dremel) as I did for a better fit but what is that worth!

My Metro Soft Seal trunk gasket decided to weld itself to the trunk lid face last month and while trying to get the lid open my thumb prints are indented to the tail panel. No substitute for the original!!! At this point I think I will put one of originals back on even if I do not like the finish as is! Look between the A and C. Not sure if it was sand paper marks or just rough knuckles.

Bottom pic is the re-pop below an original prior to adding the emblem.

Well at least Cawley went for it and brought up the discussion. Maybe someone can get the font so we can make masks.

Attachments

• IMGP2130.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMGP2087.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 127
Mine had a lot of small dents. So I used a Da. Started with 400, 600, 1500 then 3000. I then buffed it with a bench buffer that my dad has. Then I polished it with mothers polish. O & before that I hammered the dents out, not all but most. Things like this & all your stainless have a coating on them from factory. I got my paint from my local napa who put the red in a spray can. My red was all worn off so I didn't have anything to go by. It was just under $13.00 for that spray can & a 1/2 pint of red left over. I am not working so I have to do things a little on the cheap side & still look good.

-
Back