Center console ?? on 66 Dart GT 273 2bbl.

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I was told that the 66 Darts have the 67 and up center floor console. My car has factory buckets and the 67 console. It is all loose from the floor, and is very tight when held in the correct posistion.

I was thinking of changing it over to the 65 type, cause I think it would look better and have more room between the seats. I have a 65 console, but no 65 shift linkage.

My question is, will the 67 ( I presume thats whats in it now), shift linkage work with the 65 consle or are they the same ??.

The car is an 273, 2bbl, auto in the floor. It needs a little resoration, and a 340 for sure. Some one might have put in the console. I owned it for a few months in 1999, and never did any work on it, and just bought it back.

Thanks guys Dave C.

The console you have is correct for a 66 (the first year for the long unit). The 65 console covered a cable shifter, while the 66 is linkage shifted. The 65 console was also a one-year only part. I'd keep the correct part in.

Thanks Jim

I think you have convinced me to keep the long one. I just think the 65 console looks kind of unique and was hoping I could use it with the 66 linkage.
It is probably not too easy to do with a linkage set up. I havn't checked it out thoughroly yet. I'll let you know, if I think it might work.

Thanks Dvae C.

the 66 console is argent silver on the top , if it is wood grain it is a later model,,

the 66 auto floor shifter it shaped a lot different then the 65 cable shifter,,
not saying it cant be made to work,,,

but the 66 shifter handle is round about a 1/2 in dia,,and the 65 is like a flat bar only requireing a slot verses a round hole to come up thru,,,

I have both a 66 console and shifter and a 65 console and shifter....The 65 shifter I think could easily be made to work under the 66 console, I was thinkin about that myself. The difference in the stick is round to flat but the black slider that goes in the console is replaceable. You'll have to adapt the linkage with a well placed weld or two but I think that could work, as far as using a 65 console with a link shifter, I don't see that working.
It was also mentioned that the 65 was a one year only..possibly in the Dart, but that same setup was used in the B-body in 64.

I would like to find a stick console out of a 66 A-body to put in my 64 Valiant.

Lee

fstfish66 said:
the 66 console is argent silver on the top , if it is wood grain it is a later model....

Well, you're somewhat correct there.

1966-'68 were the silver argent, with the divider line down the center.
'69-'76 used the woodgrain.

AUTOMATIC consoles are the same from '66 through '76, fit wise.

4 SPEED consoles are the same from 1967-'70 (other than the woodgrain issue).

The 1966 4 speed console is by itself, in that it uses the 4 speed top plate with what is later referred to as the AUTOMATIC base.
1967-up used a large cut-out on the side to clear the (wider) 4 speed hump on the later cars. The large cut-out was covered by the ever-impossible to find carpet-fiberboard hump trim piece.

Mark.

-
Back