Center Section Fuel Pickup Interference

-

chastee1

Reaction score
Good News: After a 12 year project in 3 different states the Dart finally hit the road in MI last weekend!

Bad News: That big name, high dollar, dumb as rocks scam artist of a shop outside of LA screwed me yet again. I had them install a reproduction tank, new fuel system (1/2"), and move the rear axle back to center it in the rear wheel well. Upon leaving the car in the garage after the first drive we noticed gas leaking from the rear. The center section actually hit fittings of the fuel pickup (Mancini 1/2") in the tank causing a leak.

Those of you that have moved the rear axle back by flipping the perch (moves it back about 1 1/8") - did you have similar problems with interference? Wondering if it's just a matter of changing out to some different fittings/angles or if I need to move the tank back/go fuel cell etc.

Attachments

• Dart.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 195
The repop tank has nothing to do with it, it's cause you moved it back. Mine on my scamp was close and i dont think it has been moved back. there really is no reason to move the axle back. center of the wheel whell on the quarter panel is not center of the actual wheel whell. I put a sump in it and my own return line. I also cut off and Tig welded up the factory pick up and return on the sending unit. You can see pics of what I did in my scamp thread below.

The repop tank has nothing to do with it, it's cause you moved it back. Mine on my scamp was close and i dont think it has been moved back. there really is no reason to move the axle back. center of the wheel whell on the quarter panel is not center of the actual wheel whell. I put a sump in it and my own return line. I also cut off and Tig welded up the factory pick up and return on the sending unit. You can see pics of what I did in my scamp thread below.

Thanks for the reply. I understand it is because I moved the axle back and not due to the tank being reproduction. That was to get a taller wheel in the rear and not have to trim the front of the rear quarter opening (first place you start to hit when you go taller on a 69 dart). For those people that have relocated the axle rearward I am asking whether or not you've been able to use a stock tank in the stock location with a stock type pickup. I'm hoping it's just a minor interference with the fittings coming off the pickup and that I can rig up some different fittings but keep the stock tank in the stock location. Pushing up and down on the rear by hand does not cause it to hit, but I can't mimic the real world forces and angles myself (and obviously it hit in real life).

Well........ I have a 67 Dart with Mini Tub & 325/50/15's, Ford 9" Triangulated 4 Link and the rear end sits in the dead stock position. I also have a 73 Scamp with 315/50/15's on it with mini tub and Spring relocation and the axle is in the stock location. No rubbing on any of the cars with plenty of clearance. It is a MYTH that you need to move the axle back to accommodate for Larger rear tires. There is NO trimming of the front quarter opening required. If someone was telling you that then they are not speaking the truth.

Full droop the rear suspension and the tires will fall right out.

1 1/8" is a long way back.

Can the rear be moved forward slightly? I've moved them back ~3/4", never more than that and can't recall having any issues with the fuel sending units.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to move stuff around to make it work.

depending on the car and stock axle location you can usually fit a 28 or 29" tall tire.

with SS cutouts you can go a little bit bigger

Attachments

• 100_5158.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 150
So you flipped the front spring hangers? If so just flip them back and your done, besides fixing the leaks.

So you flipped the front spring hangers? If so just flip them back and your done, besides fixing the leaks.

that wouldn't move the axle back though, just lower the car... im not sure he knows whats up because the perch on the housing is even so no gain there...

that wouldn't move the axle back though, just lower the car... im not sure he knows whats up because the perch on the housing is even so no gain there...

Yes I know. I think someone was pulling his chain. I just went with it. I bet someone modified or made new front hangers for it with the leaf hole in a different location. Still would be pretty easy fix.

Yes I know. I think someone was pulling his chain. I just went with it. I bet someone modified or made new front hangers for it with the leaf hole in a different location. Still would be pretty easy fix.

i think they make perches with a hole front and rear of the stock hole... but an 1 1/8! holy crap!

OP measure from the center of the axle to the front lip of the wheel well, even with the bottom of the rocker.

Not sure I would be trashing a shop so hard, If I couldn't install a gas tank myself..... sounds like they did exactly what you ask them to do, and you ask for something that was gonna cause a problem....

i think they make perches with a hole front and rear of the stock hole... but an 1 1/8! holy crap!

OP measure from the center of the axle to the front lip of the wheel well, even with the bottom of the rocker.

Correct. Multiple holes in the stock perches. 1 1/8" is a number from memory. On the east coast for two weeks so no measurements or photos until July unfortunately. Moving the rear back to stock location means new driveshaft (or just cutting down which isn't too much $$). As a reference - the custom driveshaft, that fits with the current rearward axle, is 52 3/4". That's the measurement from the end of the trans case to the flat surface on the pinion yoke. No stock A-body 727 to 8.75 axle length measurement to compare in front of me.

Since I don't have my second set of tall rear wheels/tires yet I may just flip the perches to avoid the issue for now. My current tire combo will work with the axle in the stock location, though they look "forward". When I get the tall rears I can address it then.

Not sure I would be trashing a shop so hard, If I couldn't install a gas tank myself..... sounds like they did exactly what you ask them to do, and you ask for something that was gonna cause a problem....

i think will have to see pics before anything is taken for granted... no matter what ever it is will get it right

Correct. Multiple holes in the stock perches. 1 1/8" is a number from memory. On the east coast for two weeks so no measurements or photos until July unfortunately. Moving the rear back to stock location means new driveshaft (or just cutting down which isn't too much $$). As a reference - the custom driveshaft, that fits with the current rearward axle, is 52 3/4". That's the measurement from the end of the trans case to the flat surface on the pinion yoke. No stock A-body 727 to 8.75 axle length measurement to compare in front of me.

Since I don't have my second set of tall rear wheels/tires yet I may just flip the perches to avoid the issue for now. My current tire combo will work with the axle in the stock location, though they look "forward". When I get the tall rears I can address it then.

all you need to do is loosen the u bolts and move the axle to the other hole...

You haven't seen the other threads...and I haven't thrown names out on the internet. "Sure I can install a TTI exhaust. Just a few hundred in labor...That'll be $5,000". And I wish that was the only invoice line item.

It was their suggestion to flip the perches.

You haven't seen the other threads...and I haven't thrown names out on the internet. "Sure I can install a TTI exhaust. Just a few hundred in labor...That'll be $5,000". And I wish that was the only invoice line item.

It was their suggestion to flip the perches.
If that's the case, then I agree

-
Back