centerforce or zoom????

-

swinger340

Reaction score
Going to purchase a new clutch for my swinger. Was originally going to go w a centerforce, but now am considering a zoom. The zoom comes w a throwout bearing and line up tool for like $100 less. Any words of wisdom? I know centerforce has a good rep. not sure if zoom is as good or not.

I would suggest McLeod or Hays, and to get a clutch that's rated for the amount of power you're making.

Centerforce does not have a good rep. Not sure about Zoom.

Think about it this way- how soon do you want to be bench pressing that transmission again?

Have a buddy w a duel friction centerforce in a 500 hp 500 tq 408 in a duster and no issues after 2 yrs. He launches the car @ 2800. Ill be running a 428 hp 340 on the street. I like the pedal feel of the centerforce. I have a Hays now w only 1000 mi on it w the borg and beck style pressure plate. I want a softer pedal. Pretty bad when the swinger pedal pushes harder than the tri axle dump truck I drive @ work.

Don't own an A-Body (1969 RR), but go with the Centerforce. I made the mistake of buying a Zoom clutch for my "then" 450HP 451. The clutch burnt and smoked off the start, and was completely gone within 500 miles. Went with a single disc Centerforce DFX clutch (good for 650-700HP) and works perfectly with less pedal effort than the Zoom and is behind 600HP. You do get what you pay for when it comes to clutches. Purchased a Ram SFI Billet Steel flywheel as well along with the clutch, and everything so far has been great. While you're down their, you may want to replace your factory flywheel bolts with ARP units for additional strength if you haven't already. Hope I could help.

Will follow my gut and 1st instinct. Looks like the centerforce duel friction it is. If it can withstand the pounding in my buddys duster, it should be fine for my street car, plus the softer pedal so my wife can drive it will be a plus (I think). A little more spent now may save me alot of headache in the near future.

I have a Centerforce II in my car, pedal feel is like a new car and the clutch works great!

I have. Centerforce dual friction II Behind my 410 was really suprised with softness of the pedal.

Really? We have piles of people here running a Centerforce because they like them.

And I've heard from more than a couple people who have mechanical knowledge that I trust not to use Centerforce because there are better clutches out there. What can I say? He wanted an opinion, I gave mine. I bought a McLeod for my car.

It's probably like anything else it's according to whatever mood the employees are in when they put's it together. Hung over, first of the week, last of the week, etc...

-
Back