centering power steering box?

-

63 dart wagon

Reaction score
Im working on a 65 plymouth. I had to change the top of the power steering box where the hoses bolt or slide on because some past owner put a crack in the cast iron. I have a used piece and bought new o rings bolted it on and when i started the car the steering wheel spun and it was at full turn to the left. Drivers side. It seemed to me years ago that the holes were slotted and you moved the piece to center the box. neither the part i took off or the new old one was slotted. Does any one know how to center it or what i did wrong? Thanks for any help.

The part you removed, the Valve Body” to replace “O” rings has to be centered to balance left & right power assist.

Torque both bolts holding valve body to steering gear to 7 ft. lbs., or 84 Inch lbs. to prevent leakage during adjusting procedure. Also do not turn steering wheel to full stop during this procedure or you may blow out the new “O” rings.

Start engine, tap valve body up or down to center steering wheel.
When tapping VB down (causes left turning wheel) hit valve body on end plug.
When tapping VB up (causes right turning wheel) tap on head of screw attaching VB to main valve body.
DO NOT HIT CONTROL VALVE BODY
Keep adjusting with gentle taps until wheel stays put at start up, and retorque bolts to 16 ft. lbs., or 192 Inch lbs.

Turning wheel left than right several times will purge any air trapped in the system.

Thanks for the info i got it figured out today. There is a rod that goes from steering box to vb and it was busted at the bottom. Put new used rod in and it was working fine.

-
Back