central a/c quit in house?

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
turned my a/c off last night. got down to 72 felt like opening the windows. turned it back on this morning.it is 95 outside and 91 deg in the house. furnace fan is blowing, a/c unit fan is blowing but for some reason the compressor is not turning on. the unit fan will stop for 1 second then start back on but the compressor never works. worked fine last night when i turned it off. any ideas???

Hey 74, check the disconnect box outside where the condenser sets. There should be some fuses in that box. Shut it off and open it up and check the fuses. Take em to a hardware store and have em checked out. If bad get new ones and reinsert.
Small Block

Low on refrigerant perhaps. This isn't a do-it-yourself fix, so unless you are an expert on domestic A/C systems, call one.

Low refrigerant will result in the outside unit frosting up. If ya got frost on the condenser then that would be the case. Check the fuses.
Small Block

i wouldn't think it would be low on freon since it worked great yesterday when i turned it off and this morning the compressor won't turn on. the fan blows on the unit and in the furnace in the house. i will check the box outside. it shorted the breaker couple years ago in the unit. some spiders had built a nest in it. but the whole thing was dead then. the fan works fine this time. i have a buddy who does hvac. he is supposed to come over tonight around 8 or 9 and look at it. i forgot how hot 91 is in a house when humidity is high and no breeze. have the ceiling fans spinning. and still sweating. i guess i could turn the central on out in the shop and mess with something but been at a all mopar show and swap today at columbia so i am about baked right now. getting ready to take the twins to a church picnic for a while. should cool off soon i hope..

Compressor start capacitor maybe? Just a guess not an expert used to have a central unit that required lots of attention [ bandaids ] to stay cool. Been there good luck.

I have had to replace the contactor before ( essentially a dual poll High current relay that turns on the compressor)

But my money is on the fuse, the freon or the start cap.

If is the start cap you hear a humming sound coming from the compressor when it tries to turn on. and the fan outside should run.

If it is the freon I dont think anything will happen outside.
if it is the fuse nothing outside will happen outside.

Be careful with 220 it will kill you, not just hurt a lot like 110.

Im wondering if the fins could be clogged right up. When I had my new furnace installed about a month ago, they cleaned the fins on the ac unit. With mine the ac unit sits right on top of the furnace. Not sure what the part is called, but they had little brushes cleaning all the lint, hair and other $hit out of there.
I agree with trapster watch the volts!

I am with small block on this, If it was low on Freon you would have known it yesterday or a few days before if your line was frosted up, Is it a heat pump unit ? It most likely is a relay or a reversing valve not returning to cool cycle, Or!! compressor will not kick in because the relay is not getting low voltage from your transformer that your thermostat needs to operate. hope this helps

sounds like your in good hands if you buddy is coming over to look at it, but a few things that come to mind is it could be tripping on high head being that it started under a high load or it could be your capacitor. if its bubbled out at all its bad. a freon leak is unlikely, but possible. depending on the age of the unit, r410a refrigent is under high pressure and leaks very quickly, although i've had r22 leak out in less than 8 hours with no signs of a problem. good luck, and try to stay cool

If it's a bad relay , he'll gladly take your money to fix it. LOL!!

well we got her running. he called about 9 and said he was on his way. i was just leaving our church picnic which i am proud to say that we had a turtle race and one of my twins made it to the final round and won the whole think with her turtle.
anyways back to the a/c
i just waited for him and pulled the back cover off the unit and there it was. a damn mouse has made a home in there and chewed up 2 wires on the capacitor and pee'd all over it.
did a temporary fix of the wires. and taped the bare wires. cleaned out the nest
he is bringing me a new 60-5 capacitor tomorrow evening. and we will fix the wires a little better. wires were for the compressor that is why the fan was still able to run. got the house down from 91 to 80 right now. so it is getting better. i am wore slick from running today and hope to finish this beer and call it a night i hope. unless the twins try to keep me up all night again.

Keep in mind that the fans run on 110 (split, from one side of the 210 line). My bet is one of the 2 barrel fuses on the quick disconnect box by the unit is blown (be aware that they can look fine and still be blown). Replace both (their cheap) and also reset the main breaker (off and on).

Ya gotta hate overlapping replies.

Glad your back to normal. Without friends who know their ****, life would be a lot more expensive.

Jim

he does't want paid so i am atleast going to mail his wife a gift certificate to go out and eat or something for them. cause he sure didn't have to come and help me on sunday night. i could have figured the problem out after removing the cover but i don't like messing with lots of electrical stuff especially 220

Glad to hear you are up and cooling Give your friend a fabo thank you
I did heat and a/c repair back in the day and if anyone is not afraid of electricity is the first person to get hit by it, or worse... My money was on the contactor relay to

took awhile to get the house down from 91 back to 76.
pressures were ok by the gauges. did not need any freon topped off. got to get her some new filters tomorrow and maybe get the new 60-5 capacitor in tomorrow evening or else i may have to button up my new duster project
I for got to post pictures of my new duster I bought back in march along with the progress. took the 471 aluminum headed bb out and put my 360 in it. the 471 run 10.80's on bfg and the 360 has run 11.92 on slicks. green on green street car. pictures to come soon......

-
Back