Centre (or Center) post destruction

-

Moparmal

Banned
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can tell me whats going wrong here?

This is the second duel point style cap in three years Ive had this happen with - the centre post just melts away, for no obvious reason.,,

I always make sure the rotor button is flush seated and the post is not bent when i put the cap on - but it still burns away :angry7:

(Dist is a Direct Connection Tach drive which has been working flawlessly except for this problem ....)

Centrepostarc.jpg

Let's see, the rotor button is carbon, so it won't take a lot of arcing. It also carries every spark the coil puts out. Don't know if this is your problem but I once had a rotor with a top contact that was bent to the point of barely making contact with the button. Never paid much attention to that sort of thing until this particular rotor caused me to be stranded along the road because the arcing it caused ate the center button away in roughly 1000 miles. Every new rotor I've installed since has had the top contact bent slightly upward by me and I have yet to lose a rotor button in the cap. Sh))t happens. I try to make sure it only happens to me once.

Now I have a reason for me bending up the rotor contact before cap install! I always thought it was my ocd! LOL!
Also put that little bit of film of dielectric grease on it too!

Thanks for the input, I have a list a mile long now to check - these include -

Plug gap
Wire resistance
Rotor phase
Rotor - terminal gap
Post - rotor contact
Use a copper terminal cap
Vent the cap

Hopefully with all this done it will solve the problem

-
Back