Ceramic coating

-

darndart

Reaction score
I have ceramic coated TTI headers on my 72 Duster. The coating is coming off. Where is the best place to have them recoated without costing an arm & a leg?

I'd be on the phone with TTI before I did anything. Mine have the polished ceramic coating. I'm really surprised you are having an issue.

I was literally about to call TTI to order a set of their ceramic headers when I saw this. Give them a call and let me know how they treat you.

I was literally about to call TTI to order a set of their ceramic headers when I saw this. Give them a call and let me know how they treat you.

I have a set and they look great and are holding up great. TTI is a great company.

I may call them. I’d take pics but the car is in cold “I mean cold” storage!

Did u leave the door open? Its coming back down here again, dammit ![/QUOTE]
^^^^^^^^^^
I’m getting so sick of it. It’s been 10-15 below almost every day for almost 2 weeks!!!!

1AAB6D00-754B-4659-B062-433C7ACF4DC3.jpeg

It makes it really hard to get motivated to work on car projects!!!
Dang I wouldn`t even get out of the house !! Supposed to have a couple of 70 degree days , then back to cold.
I read that TTI had some bad coatings a few yrs. back , and they honored the bad work, call them . I`d like to have mine thermal barrier coated, but too old and lazy to pull them off. They are wrapped, dam I hate that stuff !

Coating loose on top or bottom?
Driven around with salt on the roads?
My coated Dougs' headers were completely stripped and rusted at the collectors after one winter. Top end looks perfect still.

These were never ever driven in the winter or even rain, for that matter. When it warms up here a little, I’ll take some pics and post them.

Did you follow their directions?

"When storing your car for an extended period of time, some precautions must be taken. Park the car over a large sheet of plastic or tarp. This will protect your car and headers from moisture seeping up through the floor. Wipe down and dry the headers thoroughly. Then coat the headers with WD-40 or an equivalent where the tubes are welded to the header flanges and where the tubes come in close proximity to each other (especially where the four tubes enter into the collector). These areas are prone to rusting, as the coating is unable to get between the tubes in the unexposed areas of the header. If rust occurs, it will travel into and under the coating and create a stain. When you are ready to start the car after storage, wash the WD-40 off by following the cleaning procedures."

I called TTI and talked to Sam today. Super nice guy. He gave me the number of their coaters. I call them and they gave me a really good deal on recoating them(1/3 less than a local shop wanted to do it. I’m happy with that!

I called TTI and talked to Sam today. Super nice guy. He gave me the number of their coaters. I call them and they gave me a really good deal on recoating them(1/3 less than a local shop wanted to do it. I’m happy with that!

I repainted my coated TTI's that began to look rough with matte black with 2 cans of VHT High Temperature paint from Summit. They look awesome, the coating is durable and I can touch them up as needed. I ended up doing my entire exhaust all the way to the tips as well. It looks great black.

Stroker.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back