Ceramic sealant

-

69conv

error 401
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I live on a dirt road and I'm concerned about scratching the paint washing the grit off. I'm considering it for my 69 convertibles as well as my new Durango GT. Is there a downside? I like the idea of not having to reapply it as frequently and providing a coating between the paint and the elements. Just sounds too good to be true. Please let me know your thoughts.

I used it on a late model car with nice paint that’s sits outside. It went on and back off again easily. Made it look a bit better, more glossy. Already looked great. Was looking and feeling like it was waxed. Didn’t seem to last very long or do any better than a good wax would do.

For your dirt road use I like to put car wash soap in a hose end sprayer (from the garden center) and spray the soap on the car and let it sit a few minutes and rinse it off, seems to get off half of the dirt and dust without even touching the paint with a wash mitt. Seems like a good thing.

then I spray the car again with soap and wash it with a mitt. Less work then trying to put all the soap on the car with the wash mitt.

IMO- A good coat of wax regularly. Then you can easily rinse the dirt off. Had the same issue with bugs on my Harley fairing. Good coat of wax frequently, bugs come right off without rubbing, blow dry with a leaf blower.

This is my routine on my 05 Ram. And it's black. First of all, I use a good quality car wash soap and a really fluffy hand towel. If I were to wet the entire vehicle, and start washing from the top down, and rinse as I go, the water would dry on the paint while I finished up the lower sections. So, I always start with wheels and tires trying to keep water off the paint as much as possible. Scrub clean and rinse. Next, I clean the fender wells, and bottom of rocker panels. That's so I don't pick up any grit from these areas as I move on to other areas. Then I blast off as much dust and dirt as I can with the water hose. After that, I take my fluffy soapy hand towel and really slop on the soapy water on the entire vehicle. Then dipping my towel frequently in the bucket, I go back and clean each section, but I do not rinse anything until I finish washing the entire truck. This keeps water from dry and creating water spots. The soap will dry but that's ok. After giving it a good final rinse, I use my cordless leaf blower to blast off as much water as I can. Then I dry it down as quickly as I can polishing as I go. I usually have to lightly spray water on my towel as I go because it gets too dry. Any soap film polishes off easily but dried water spots will not. My paint is in very good condition with very few visible scratches and no swirl marks or water spots.

Last edited:
We also live on a gravel road and when we bought a new 2021 Jeep it already had ceramic coating on it but I had it professionally installed when I bought my 2022 Ram. I’d have it applied to my Belvedere too if the paint was nicer.

I started using Griot's ceramic spray coating last year on my 20 black RAM, wife's 12 white Grand Cherokee and my 11 black Street Glide. I prep them all first by washing with a soap to remove waxes (dawn), then surface prep (bug/tar, clay bar, compound, etc) as needed but usually in spring. The black really pops and the paint looks deep. I am impressed with how long the ceramic coat lasts and I touch it up every 3 months or so. When you wash it in between, it looks like I just detailed it and that includes getting through hunting season and salty winters. It definitely helps protect the paint IMO.

-
Back