Challenger gas cap on 74 Duster help!

-

Danco

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I really don't like the look of the duster gas cap and fit. I would like to fit and weld a 74 Challenger regular gas cap ( not the flip top one) I was wondering if any one here has done this and what I would need to do it. I am pretty sure I would need the piece of the challenger sheet metal from the quarter panel but would I need anything else other than the gas cap of coarse?
Any help including the piece of challenger quarter would help.
thanks

There is a thread for a flip cap adapter that a member here makes....
it my sound weird but I don't want to go the flip top cap way, I just want something that is more flush and clean looking. personal preference I guess. thanks

I misread your OP. I have seen caps with a larger shield that seem to fit flush. I have also seen the hole just filled and a cap used in the trunk.

I would like the type of look like this photo. I think it would look better than the current Duster gas cap look
gas cap.png

These look ok. If you could make it body color even better...

moc_2-lock-f-cap.jpg

I just googled "flush mount fuel cap"... Several popped up. I think that one is actually for a Harley.

In order to use that Challenger cap you would need the recess from the quarter panel (or be willing to fabricate it), and you probably need to modify the filler neck. The filler neck would have to be the right length to work with the new recess, and it would have to be the right depth to put the cap in the right spot.

As for the flush mounted ones, this one is on 72BBswinger's car. He said it's for a marine application, and the outer edge had to be machined down to fit, but it works otherwise...

attachment.php

72 BLU your answer is pretty much what I suspected I would have to do, So now I think I will try to get the gas cap area sheet metal from a challenger quarter panel and go from there. I also suspect I will need the fill tube from the challenger also and somehow join the that fill tube with the duster fill tube.
Of coarse this is based on assumption but I should be able to pick these 2 pieces used and at a fair price.
thanks

72 BLU your answer is pretty much what I suspected I would have to do, So now I think I will try to get the gas cap area sheet metal from a challenger quarter panel and go from there. I also suspect I will need the fill tube from the challenger also and somehow join the that fill tube with the duster fill tube.
Of coarse this is based on assumption but I should be able to pick these 2 pieces used and at a fair price.
thanks

Just out of curiosity I checked the caps and filler necks on my '72 Challenger and my '74 Duster, as well as one from a '74 Dart. The same locking cap actually fits all of the filler necks, but, the way the fillers mount to the quarter is different. The dart filler neck uses a flat mounting flange, where the challenger uses a mounting flange that's recessed. The result is a different depth to where the cap sits on the filler compared to the quarter. That's what lets the flip top arrangement work on the Challenger, the actual cap is recessed into the quarter and the flip top covers it . But since the Challenger cap you want is the non-flip cap, which is set to be flush with the quarter, you have to replicate that recess. So, what you would need to do is weld the end of a challenger fill tube onto your Duster's fill tube. The good new is, the fill tubes are the same diameter (as long as you don't cut in the middle of a bend, they aren't mandrel bent). And of course the recess in the quarter has to be from the Challenger.

I'm doing something similar on my Duster, I have a cap, quarter recess and fill tube from a modern Challenger to put a modern Challenger flip cap on my Duster. They're recessed into the quarter, unlike the original flip caps that stick out.

Man, Blu thanks very much for that info. thanks for going through all that just to answer me. I am going to try to acquire both the filler bucket and the tube.
Dan

No worries Dan, both cars are right here and easily accessible. Took all of 5 minutes tops. Glad to help. :D

-
Back