Challenger Hellcat on the Dyno

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
Got to see a Hellcat on a mobile dyno at a car show this weekend. I was pretty impressed that it managed to put up 659 HP at the rear wheel and 643 lbs/ft of torque. Owner was very happy.

On a more amusing note, the Hellcat was followed by this ProCharged Z06 Corvette. Owner was bragging that it makes over 930 HP at the rear wheel (over 1100 at the crank according to his "paperwork"). Well the dyno said he made 794 HP. He was PISSED! Lesson learned is "if you are going to brag about how big you are, you better be big when it comes time to prove it." Even funnier, when they announced that he got an award for the most power made on the dyno with 794, he corrected the announcer and said it should be 930.

I don't think he ever got it dynoed to say 930 HP. He just had paperwork that said approximately 930 HP to the rear wheels and 1100 at the crank.

I don't think he ever got it dynoed to say 930 HP. He just had paperwork that said approximately 930 HP to the rear wheels and 1100 at the crank.

Right. It's the standard math.

If I have an engine that makes, let's say 300 hp just to make a nice easy to use figure, and I open up a catalog that says this intake will add 50 horse, and this carb will add 25, and this can will add 100 with headers and then these headers will add 25, and the exhaust behind the headers will add 50, well, then my engine now makes 550 hp, right?

We all know different. Some people don't.

The Vette owner sounds like someone who don't.

my guess is someone told him it takes a certain amount of dollars to gain a certain amount of HP
he spend so many more dollars, and that HAS to equate to 930 HP at the wheels

Of course he was pissed. He is a corvette owner!
I once waxed a Corvette with my 340 Dart Sport at the track and boy was he pissed! Couldnt believe his "vette" was beat by an old Dodge !

Idiot!

Many moons ago, Hot Rod Magazines and ads would boast, X% increase in power with this Weiand aluminum intake and X% with this 780 Holley and X% increase with these Blackjack headers. By the time you did all the fuzzy math, my 70 340 4speed Duster was putting out like 575 HP!

-
Back