Champion radiator

-

cdstl

Reaction score
I am looking to install a Champion CC526 22" radiator into a 70 Duster. I plan to use a clutch fan and I would like to know if anyone else runs this setup and if there is enough clearance between the clutch and the radiator. I understand that the factory shroud should fit just fine.

I've read plenty about the problems that can arise with these rads. Twisted, poor welds etc.

Thanks

I just bought the same radiator for my 68 Barracuda. I ordered one with the 16" electric fan and their shroud. It didn't clear my water pump pulley so I had to mount the fan straight to the radiator. I think you will be fine using the clutch fan and the oem shroud. Mine fit good and wasn't twisted.

I just purchased that radiator for my '67 Barracuda. I used the short shaft clutch fan. The radiator was very well made in terms of welds and fitment. Hope this helps.

no problems here

2016-07-26 rad 008.JPG

2016-07-26 rad 005.JPG

2016-07-26 rad 002.JPG

I've got that radiator in my 68. If you plan on using a clutch fan, it's gotta be either the new HD short shaft muscle car clutch or a jag clutch. With that combo, I've got about 1/2" clearance between the clutch and radiator. Also, the mounting flange for the shroud is spaced out way too far. With the shroud bolted up, there'll be about a 1" gap between the tanks of the radiator and the top and bottom edges of the shroud. I ended up closing this gap with a couple strips of aluminum bar stock.

20151207_162748_zpspjwyl5bs.jpg

20151207_162721_zpsk9qsac5v.jpg

Ok good stuff guys. Where do you look for the "muscle car" clutch? Can you just ask for a Jag clutch at NAPA?

Looks like the Hayden 2747. Is that what you used mopowers?

Thanks

Last edited:
As a side note, I've got a Champion 22" in my 440 Dart. Fixed blade fan w/no clutch. Had to modify the radiator mounting tabs to push the radiator forward 1/2", but the combination seems to be keeping the engine cool. SUPER tight clearance. Maybe 1/4" on front and 1/8" clearance from front of my aftermarket AC compressor. I've tried so many different fan/spacer combinations with this beast, I'm to the point where I don't care if it eats the radiator. LOL.

Ok good stuff guys. Where do you look for the "muscle car" clutch? Can you just ask for a Jag clutch at NAPA?

Looks like the Hayden 2747. Is that what you used mopowers?

Thanks

Yes, that's the one I used. Keep in mind there are two 3-core 22" radiator styles from champion. The CC526 is the "factory replacement" verision with provisions for a factory fan shroud. The other is the CC2374. That one has slightly different dimensions and no provisions for a factory shroud. Make sure when comparing other peoples experience to verify which one they've got so you're comparing apples to apples.

Jag clutch would be from a 1990 XJ6
Its a Hayden #2765

I used a quality engineering products radiator. I have 1/2" clearance.

Its a Hayden #2765

I used an engineered cooling products radiator. Similar to the champion except stamped aluminum upper and lower tanks. . I have 1/2" clearance between rad fins and clutch fins.

Its a Hayden #2765

I used an engineered cooling products radiator. Similar to the champion except stamped aluminum upper and lower tanks. . I have 1/2" clearance between rad fins and clutch fins.

I have also tried this radiator and realized it will only work with the jag clutch, muscle car clutch or a fixed blade. If you have AC like I do with an aftermarket compressor you are even more limited, looks like it will only work with an electric fan or a fixed blade fan for me. Not sure about how the shroud will look mounted, the tabs for attaching it push it pretty far back.

Not sure about how the shroud will look mounted, the tabs for attaching it push it pretty far back.

That's the biggest gripe I have about mine. For something that touts "factory shroud mounting" You'd think they would wouldn't have the mounts 1" back of the tanks. Heck, they would've even saved material if they made it correctly.

That's the biggest gripe I have about mine. For something that touts "factory shroud mounting" You'd think they would wouldn't have the mounts 1" back of the tanks. Heck, they would've even saved material if they made it correctly.

I didnt try it but i was thinking there might be a way to mount the factory shroud to the inside of those tabs. Might require some trimming though. Any thoughts?

Hmmm.... I thought about that too. I'll have to look at mine again to say why I decided against it. Off the top of my head, you have to remove the rivnuts and use a different type of fastener.

Make your own shroud like this. I plan on going this route, execpt i dont plan on splitting it like the last pic.

Template.jpg

ClothStretched2.jpg

Fiberglass1.jpg

Backside2.jpg

BacksideTrimmed.jpg

FiberglassInside.jpg

Installed5.jpg

Considering all the modifications I made to my factory 67 shroud it get it fit well on my Champion radiator, I probably should've just made my own. I agree. That said, mine did turn out great so I'm happy with it.

Nice home made shroud. Ordered the rad and clutch. Everything should be here Monday.

I put a 26" Champion rad in my 70 340 Duster. I used the shroud, fan and clutch out of my 87 ram parts truck that had factory air on it. I had to cut the sides of the shroud of to make it fit. I only have 3/8 to the rad but no problems so far. I my get a new shorter clutch this winter but I need to measure it up as I do have aftermarket air on it. Buy the way it is a 20" 5 blade fan on it now.

100_2813.JPG

100_2822.JPG

100_2825.JPG

100_2827.JPG

Well, Hell. The 2747 is not the one that you want for this application. It's the 2947 that Hayden has recently released. I didn't bother to take a look at the one that's on the car and as it turns out, it is a short clutch and will probably work fine. I think I got it at NAPA.

It's my son's car and I just ASSumed that the one we had was too long.

Luckily Summit takes returns.

Hayden http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Hayden_Low Profile Fan Clutch Flyer.pdf

-
Back