Change flex plates????

-

dodgefreak8

Reaction score
hey everyone I just got my new torque converter for my 86 dodge w150 and something isn't right???? I got a hughes converter that says its for any 24 spline 727 tranny BUT the flex plate on my 318 is to small in diameter (from bolt to bolt) my question is can I just go get a flex plate for a 360?? thanks

How much too small is it? Could it be the hughes converter is running the larger 7/16" converter bolts vs the smallerr factory ones?

let me say this is a better way. It's an 11" converter and my flex plate is for a 10"..... Can I steel the plate off a 360 to fit this converter??

It does not matter if it is a 10" or 11" converter, it uses the same flex plate. You do know that the flex plate bolt holes only line up one way? One of the holes is offset from the others. Is this the same motor that was in the truck before with a 727?

trust me it doesn't use the same flex plate. There is no way this will fit this converter. Plus Mancini sells 2 different flex plates,
one for 11" converters and one for 10" converters. I guess my main question is will the flex plate from a 360 fit the crankshaft holes and will it affect the balance of the rotating assembly??

Measure the distance between the holes on the flex plate diagonally. I have a stock 360 flex plate here and it measures 10" center to center. Then measure your converter.

I did that. Flex plate is 10" center to center on the converter is 11"

There are 2 sizes. The one that was on my 440 when I got it was the big bolt pattern and my convertor was the small. I don't know how easy the large bolt patterns are to find you might be better off to order one. I'm going to keep the big one I have just in case the next convertor is the big pattern. Good Luck, Ron

-
Back