change idler arm?

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
1972 Valiant with slant 6. Do I need to jack up the engine to replace idler arm? It looks like the bolt will not clear oil pump otherwise

I'm not sure but maybe. For peace of mind you always want the bolt in from the top just in case you loose the nut... I don't know if this pic will help any especially since the grease is covering the bolt head but the bottom shot is a slant K member.
vbpgimage.php

I have a similar situation. My 68 Barracuda needs the idler arm replaced. On mine the bolt inserts from the bottom with the nut on the top next to the engine. I can barely get to it and can only feel the carter key that keeps the nut secure. If I can get the carter key out I should be able to remove the nut and bolt and get it replaced. Does your bolt come in from the top? With all the dirt on that picture above, I can't tell if that is the nut or the bolt head on top.

I replaced mine on a v8 67 valiant a few months ago and the bolt came in from the bottom. Once the cotter pin was out I believe I used a bunch of extensions and a swivel socket to remove amd tighten the nut. It was such an awkward angle with hardly any room to get to the nut from the bottom.

1968 Barracuda Notch. Well I finally got the cotter keys out from each end of my idler arm. Not much room to work so it was not as easy as you might think. Am I going to need one of those "forks" to get the idler arm out of the center link? I don't own one.
Also does the front end need to be off the ground in order to take pressure off?
Thanks

What does this mean? " got the carter keys out from each end of my idler arm."Oh wait, I think I get it.; One from the bolt end and one from the joint end? Silly me.
You know those Cotter keys are pretty soft, right? In hard to access areas, I usually leave them in there and just spin the stuff apart with the airgun, and pop the pin parts out,later.

-
Back