changed gear oil - got some gear noise - 4 sp

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
('72 A833 i n my '68 383 Barracuda). I really ddi not notice any noise previously - changed out the reverse light switch and let it drain- topped up, maybe took 2qrts of Sta-Lube 85-90. Can this maybe be a little too light? It seems to be only in downshifting lower gears. Can feel a slight meshing (vs. real grind) for lack of better term. Opinions appreciated. Maybe just go with some heavier stuff and see? I do not know what was in there from PO. I will t ry to compare the two oils ans see if the old stuff seems heavy. thanks

85-90 should be fine and have used sta-lube myself with no issues.
Needs to be the older gl-4 not newer gl-5 or syncros will not be happy.

Is the new lube synthetic? If it is and you have the original or old style syncro rings it will not like synthetic .

no not synthetic. GL-4.
I put some lithium grease onshift rod connections - and a bit up into the shifter - hopefully that did nothing negative.. It's a rebuilt trans.

Last edited:
PIA trying to get old reverse light switch out 'till I sprung for 15/16" deep socket... back up lights work well now and no more leaks from switch, new style with an O-ring. Got to get this shifting sorted though..Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
-
Back