Changing Cam Bearings

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I took the cam out of my 5.9 mag the other day, and all the bearings look great except the next-to-last bearing in the rear. It literally looks like some aluminum-loving termites made some trails on it. My question: can you swap out cam bearings with the rotating assembly in place? I have a driver/installer, and I have done a few sets on bare blocks. I have it torn down to the shortblock, I really dont want to tear it all the way down.

I don't see why you can't change the cam bearing without removing the rotating assembly.

Make sure that you have all of the oil holes lined up properly when finished.

I guess it just looked a little crowded in there with the assembly still in there. I think I will just make a line on the outside of the bearing with a sharpie opposite from the oil hole so I can tell a little easier if it is off or not.

Just a tip for you take a marker and mark web to help line up oil holes. This will help when you drive brg. into block just line up mark with hole on brg. It is a little harder to see line up with rotating assemble in place but very doable.

Just wanted to say I finally attempted it today, and was 100% sucessful. Now I just have to find one of the cam plugs that I SHOULD have from the many times I didn't use one that was included in a kit.

-
Back