Changing Luck

-

'68-340-S

Reaction score
I'm a little worried. I think my luck is starting to change. I stoped in Pep Boys after I left work today ( It's on of the 31 stores closing) and got a set of Westin nurf bars for my truck for $95.00... they cost apx 278.00. They aren't the stainless steel ones, but for the cost who can complain. They're black powder coated. I had a set of the ss black ones on my old '99 Ram with no problem with the finish ( Westin warranties it for 5yrs ).
The BIG change in my luck was another local leed on a 440 W/ trans. It's still in the motor home and gets started every year. I've been looking ( not very hard though) for a 440 for my '56. I guess the guys dad wants around 700 for the motor home, his son wants the generator out of it, I just want the motor and tranny ( mainly just the 440).
What do you guys ( and Gals ) think I should offer him for it? Keep in mind the engine/ trans would sit around my house till i'm ready to do the swap... Barracuda will come first unless I find a real cheep way to mount the 440.

I'd offer up $400 just for the motor and trans, and they dispose of the carcass. Or $300 and you dispose of it for them. Use it being in a fugly motorhome that's useless to help you get it closer to free if the kid want's the genset.

i have a 440 and trans with all brackets and alternator etc.cameout of a running late 70's model car last year.i can get that from my friend for 400 in central missouri.so don't offer him too much.you can driver hear for pretty cheap.it was a low mile engine as well.

offer low and work from there or have some one call and offer something and see what the lowest is that he will go so you know when you talk to him

I would offer $500 for it and give the son the gererator. Then strip the motor out of it. Then I would sell the rest to scrap yard and recover about $200. So you would only be paying about $300 for the motor and trans.

Offer what you think is fair, but make sure it's a 440, and not a 413. I also seem to remember something about the motorhome trannys being different than a car tranny. Not sure. As far as the rest of the motor home, you may be able to get most of your money back if you want to take some time scraping it. Copper prices are high, and there should be a lot of aluminum on it. Starter, alt, radiator, wiring, siding, catalytic converter, battery, etc... scrap metal prices are high. The average car has $100-150 of pull off parts scrap prices. Good luck, Tim.

I'm trying to just get the engine and trans. I would rather not have to deal with getting rid of a whole MH. He said he has a back hoe and can cut up the rest so that shouldn't be a problem. I alomst forgot about the 413's... I'll make sure first.

-
Back