Changing the rear quarters on my Dart conv. from a 69 to a 70

-

fueliedart

Reaction score
I have a 69 convertible that I want to make into a 1970. Changing the front group is easy but doing the rear quarters will be a bit of a challenge. If anyone has done this and can post any pictures taken during the process so I can get any ideas on how to tackle the problem of where to splice the quarters, that would be helpful on how to proceed. I have everything from the rear of a 1970 that I had parted many years ago.

Check with blewbyu (member here) as he has done one I believe. Definitely had one for sale about a year ago ??? He is located in south Florida. Any pictures ??
Good luck with your project

Some people like fat chicks, women with big asses, flat chests, midgets, super tall, all sorts of things.
The only reason I could see to do a '70 Dart convertible is because none were ever factory made. It would be unique.

I have seen 3. one at Carlisle 2000, one was built and belonged to Ed, the owner of Wildcat Auto wrecking in OR and the last around the Seattle/Tacoma area

Check with blewbyu (member here) as he has done one I believe. Definitely had one for sale about a year ago ??? He is located in south Florida. Any pictures ??
Good luck with your project
Yeah I saw his but really didn't see any pictures of how he did the quarters. You had to open each picture one at a time which was pretty time consuming.

I have googled 70 Dart conv but haven't seen any articles about doing the actual process. I actually have a yellow 70 Dart convertible with white interior as my screen saver right now.

I saw a yellow 1970 Dart convertible, in I think Kitchener Ontario, in the late 70's or early 80's. I still remember that car.

You will need to graft the tail section from a 70 or 71 Dart due to the trunk opening being revised from 69, as well as the bumper attachment points. I knew one person who did it with a 68 as a starting point 20 or more years ago, but I only saw it after the rear section was grafted on. There is also a member on this site who lives here in Alberta that has a very nice example, complete with a 426 Hemi and a shaker hood. Have never seen it in person and I don't recall his screen name. Sorry, I know that's not much help.

You will need to graft the tail section from a 70 or 71 Dart due to the trunk opening being revised from 69, as well as the bumper attachment points. I knew one person who did it with a 68 as a starting point 20 or more years ago, but I only saw it after the rear section was grafted on. There is also a member on this site who lives here in Alberta that has a very nice example, complete with a 426 Hemi and a shaker hood. Have never seen it in person and I don't recall his screen name. Sorry, I know that's not much help.
I have the quarters, the rear panel, the bumper bracket supports (the trunk pan is the same from 67-72) ,the rear panel and the trunk lid, bumper and brackets, so all I need as far as information is I would like an idea as to where would be a good spot to add the 70 1/4 panel to the 69 1/4 panel. I can figure it out but I was hoping for pictures to make my decision easier. The 1/4's on the car are in good shape so I really don't need to do the full quarter only the transition area from 69 to 70 at the very end of the quarter where the 69 to 70 change begins.

I have the quarters, the rear panel, the bumper bracket supports (the trunk pan is the same from 67-72) ,the rear panel and the trunk lid, bumper and brackets, so all I need as far as information is I would like an idea as to where would be a good spot to add the 70 1/4 panel to the 69 1/4 panel. I can figure it out but I was hoping for pictures to make my decision easier. The 1/4's on the car are in good shape so I really don't need to do the full quarter only the transition area from 69 to 70 at the very end of the quarter where the 69 to 70 change begins.
Frankly, if You've got full OE style quarters, You should put them on. Do a nice job of drilling out & separating the spot welds, & sell the nice full '69 quarters to somebody who needs them, I'm sure there'll be takers.

I saw a yellow 1970 Dart convertible, in I think Kitchener Ontario, in the late 70's or early 80's. I still remember that car.
The Canadian market had a few things a bit different than we did in the States.
Didn't you guys get a GT model in 1970 and 71?
I've never seen a Dart convertible past the 1969 model in the States. It is my understanding that none were built for the US market.

I've seen the yellow one at Don Garlits 25 years ago.
...and the orange 73 Scamp vert recently.
LOT of work involved.

US also got 70 and 71 Dart GT's, but they are rare.
FABO member had a registry.

The Canadian market had a few things a bit different than we did in the States.
Didn't you guys get a GT model in 1970 and 71?
I've never seen a Dart convertible past the 1969 model in the States. It is my understanding that none were built for the US market.
1969 was the last year for a factory convertible Dart, the 1970 or later versions are custom builds based on 68 or 69 cars usually.

Frankly, if You've got full OE style quarters, You should put them on. Do a nice job of drilling out & separating the spot welds, & sell the nice full '69 quarters to somebody who needs them, I'm sure there'll be takers.
I have from the wheel arches back on the 70 quarter panels only and so I will be splicing as far back on the car as possible. I am not a professional so I may even hire a professional to do the splice, but then again I may be the one doing the deed. I did separate all the spots on the 70 when I pulled it apart it was a 4door. I actually have the full frame rails, trunk pan trunk latch bracket, bumper brackets and everything else from the trunk pan back. I have everything from the front doors forward including the front frame rails forward just because I thought someday someone might be needing them, maybe even me. I have some 69 fenders that when I get the rear quarters done I would be willing to trade for 70 front fenders just to have extras ( I have a 70 Dart hardtop also ).

1969 was the last year for a factory convertible Dart, the 1970 or later versions are custom builds based on 68 or 69 cars usually.
69 was the last year for A body convertibles, which is a shame because the 70 up A body also lends itself nicely as a convertible.

I've seen the yellow one at Don Garlits 25 years ago.
...and the orange 73 Scamp vert recently.
LOT of work involved.

US also got 70 and 71 Dart GT's, but they are rare.
FABO member had a registry.
I'll bet the Scamp looked awesome, too bad Chrysler didn't continue on with A body converts after 69.

no reason to get into the wheel wells. Make the grafting easy on yourself and find the easiest place to do the work inside the trunk and go from there. Fortunately all the factory cars had rough sound deadener sprayed inside the trunk on the quarters, so that makes the cosmetic part a lot easier. It would be a lot easier if you can get the trunk floor drop piece out of your way and then install new ones.

no reason to get into the wheel wells. Make the grafting easy on yourself and find the easiest place to do the work inside the trunk and go from there. Fortunately all the factory cars had rough sound deadener sprayed inside the trunk on the quarters, so that makes the cosmetic part a lot easier. It would be a lot easier if you can get the trunk floor drop piece out of your way and then install new ones.
Exactly what i was thinking as close to the rear of the quarter as possible with as minimal amount of cutting and welding. Since I will be cutting the rear panel off the car to put the 70 rear panel on along with all the associated pieces I will try to only work on the parts where the change occurs between the two years which is not extremely drastic.

I have a 69 convertible that I want to make into a 1970. Changing the front group is easy but doing the rear quarters will be a bit of a challenge. If anyone has done this and can post any pictures taken during the process so I can get any ideas on how to tackle the problem of where to splice the quarters, that would be helpful on how to proceed. I have everything from the rear of a 1970 that I had parted many years ago.
You should know better than anyone here, being you have both parts on hand and can measure yourself. I had both cars myself a few years ago and I think the 70' may be a little shorter on the frame rails. I would say let the frame rails tell you where to cut, but keep in mind that you will need the side lights in your cut from the 70'. There will be a lot of changes in the front also, hood fenders grill and power to the side lights, front and rear. Hope you saved your rear wiring for the tail and brake lights from the 70'.

I believe the trunk floors are the same 67 to at least 72 so I think all A bodies use the same frame rails so that shouldn't matter. I am only going to be changing the rearward most part of the quarters and yes I have given consideration in needing to incorporate the side markers as part of the changeover. As I stated earlier I have ALL of the 70 parts to do the change including the front group and any necessary wiring. I am only interested in photos of where to cut the quarters, the rest is easy. I can figure it out on my own but sometimes it's good to see how someone has done it so you have a better idea as to where to start.

The build you are looking for is here.

I believe the trunk floors are the same 67 to at least 72 so I think all A bodies use the same frame rails so that shouldn't matter. I am only going to be changing the rearward most part of the quarters and yes I have given consideration in needing to incorporate the side markers as part of the changeover. As I stated earlier I have ALL of the 70 parts to do the change including the front group and any necessary wiring. I am only interested in photos of where to cut the quarters, the rest is easy. I can figure it out on my own but sometimes it's good to see how someone has done it so you have a better idea as to where to start.
I looked at the photos belmateo sent and it appears the cut was done at the spare tire seam and just behind the wheel well. You can see the tire seam was resealed and the extra support was added at the wheel well and rear trunk at the opening. Nice job on the transformation from 69 to 70, except much of the hardware was painted that should not been painted. Tire well is also aftermarket, missing plugs.

-
Back